ID please - unknown cichlid

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
duanes duanes or Rocksor Rocksor may know
Something about the profile and trailers seem off for a jewel to me.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are 12 described Hemichromis species, and at least 4 undescribed in the genus, and many location variants.
I'm not very up on them, although it looks a bit like Hemichromis stellifer, but....the less red variant
the Tilapia spot at the rear of the dorsal is a bit off putting though.
And there are at least 100 species of Tilapines with many genera, some very similar. in appearance

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Thanks for the replies.
I dont think it is a Hemichromis though I understand what brings this impression.
The body and fin shape and the huge black spot on the gill plate reminds me a lot of Pelmatochromis nigrofasciata and Coelotilapia joka but the blue iridescent spots do not match at all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thanks for the replies.
I dont think it is a Hemichromis though I understand what brings this impression.
The body and fin shape and the huge black spot on the gill plate reminds me a lot of Pelmatochromis nigrofasciata and Coelotilapia joka but the blue iridescent spots do not match at all.
I was looking at P nigrofasciata, and agree both the spot on the gill pate, and posterior of the dorsal match quite well.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Try getting hold of Denis Tweddle of the South African Institution of Aquatic Biodiversity. He should be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Deadeye and Milingu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store