ID

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Post back when/if it decides to color up more. Or at least once it has settled in more.

Reactions: CichlidKeeper01

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Looks female to me. If I had to guess I'd suspect some dimidiochromis in there, but could be camera angle or distortion of body shape from being way overfed. I kept Malawi cichlids for years and my experience was sometimes you get an individual pig that gets way too fat even when the tank isn't overfed. Eventually it gets them sick, pretty much never fails, so what I did was separate them from the main tank and restrict their food way down until they looked normal or even slightly thin, then put them back. One such treatment would cure some of overeating, others would take more than one visit to the 'fat farm' and then they'd be cured. Pretty rare ime that a few such treatments didn't get them over being such pigs, but if not I had multiple tanks and for their own good they'd permanently go to a tank that wasn't fed much.

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Thought I would update this thread. Fish still has not shown any changes in coloration. To me he looks like a dimidiochromis hybrid, but I am not sure.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Can you post a new pic since it's been awhile since we had one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store