IDEAL TANK SET UP FOR FAHAKA PUFFER?

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
Whats the ideal tank set up for a fahaka puffer? I'm talking for tank size, to plantation, decoration and type of gravel...I'm planning to set up a 120 galon tank which is 4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet by august when baby fahaka season comes around. How should my tank be set up?
In my opinion, that tanks too small to properly house a Fahaka for life but it will work for a while. Although they may not look like it they are good swimmers and accelerate pretty well. A 4' tank for a potentially 18" fish doesn't leave it much room for movement, it'll pretty much outgrow it around 2 years. I raised one in a 60"x18"x26" (120XT) for about a year, which was from 3" to about 11" in growth and finally adopted it out because the tank seemed too short for it. I wouldn't put one in any tank under 6'x2'x2' personally and would go bigger if possible. They are really amazing fish to own, very personable and intelligent and get bored in small under decorated tanks. I'l love to see one in a huge tank with lots of driftwood and stumps, just to watch it hunt.

Reactions: kzimmerman

Cichlid Lover 1981

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2023
i dont know anyone that has managed to keep anything with them, other species or own, on long term. esp. when they are bigger
I have a 12" Fahakka in a 400 gallon with 15 huge cichlids Arrowana Red devil 2 oscars 3 blood parrots green terror Red terror iridecent sharks texas cichlid salvini Flowerhorn temensis peacock bass.

Lots of hiding spots the puffer has nipped at a few fins but never hurt anyone tge fish are too fast and too smart everyone stays away from the puffer and he tends to mind his own business. The puffer does not chase or set out to follow stalk or anything to the other fish fir tge most part will only nip if another fish gets to close to him all my fish stay away from him. Minor fin bites heal and grow back. It can definitely been done but not with any thing Tank mates are possible with great consideration a d the proper size tank and conditions. I know otger people who keep fahakas with small fast swimming fish as tank mates. Fahakkas are slow swimming. Lots of people on YouTube have fahakas in with Cichlids. It's what gave me the idea to add one to mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store