Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Gotta love free
A buddy of mine was traveling a couple hours away to pick up fish from another hobbyist and texted me as to its availability, so he picked it up for me. This type of thing is why people should look at local clubs or forums. The connections you make with other fish keepers can help you acquire things that might not be so readily available.

Reactions: Toiletcar

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Okay I think this will be my official last pic to end this thread along with a brief reason as to why.

This journey all began with the loss of my big pearsei in Sept. 2019. I couldnt do another one so I went back to a group of fish I had always enjoyed, amphilophus. The experiment was an interesting one to do a 'community' tank based on these. It worked well with two Petsmart red devils and two true midas. This was a perfect tank in many ways. In fact the best community tank Ive had in years. The lead fish kept things in check, pretty much zero serious aggression with him just giving a look and it would settle things down. But it was a balance that really depended on the exact fish with the perfect temperament... sadly the main red devil in charge hurt itself on a piece of driftwood. A very serious gash that it could not come back from. At the same time the second largest fish , a true midas, came down with a swim bladder issue and had to be put down. This left me with just two fish and a tank that was far from peaceful. These two bicker constantly and the peace is gone. So Ive decided to rehome one and keep the other as a solo wet pet for my garage 90 gallon.

Here are the two that are left doing what they do, facing off (old pic)
IMG_20201218_131939259_BURST001 (1).jpg
They are both bigger now and have larger nuchal humps but much more aggressive with each other since there is no real regulator fish in charge.

So now what for the 300? I recently acquired another pearsei. Wasnt sure if he was going to be the star attraction in the 300 but he sealed it when he started eating algae wafers out of my fingers, lol. This one is even more personable and outgoing than my previous pearsei and my amphs.

So goodbye to project amphlipohus for now.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Okay I think this will be my official last pic to end this thread along with a brief reason as to why.

This journey all began with the loss of my big pearsei in Sept. 2019. I couldnt do another one so I went back to a group of fish I had always enjoyed, amphilophus. The experiment was an interesting one to do a 'community' tank based on these. It worked well with two Petsmart red devils and two true midas. This was a perfect tank in many ways. In fact the best community tank Ive had in years. The lead fish kept things in check, pretty much zero serious aggression with him just giving a look and it would settle things down. But it was a balance that really depended on the exact fish with the perfect temperament... sadly the main red devil in charge hurt itself on a piece of driftwood. A very serious gash that it could not come back from. At the same time the second largest fish , a true midas, came down with a swim bladder issue and had to be put down. This left me with just two fish and a tank that was far from peaceful. These two bicker constantly and the peace is gone. So Ive decided to rehome one and keep the other as a solo wet pet for my garage 90 gallon.

Here are the two that are left doing what they do, facing off (old pic)
View attachment 1466281
They are both bigger now and have larger nuchal humps but much more aggressive with each other since there is no real regulator fish in charge.

So now what for the 300? I recently acquired another pearsei. Wasnt sure if he was going to be the star attraction in the 300 but he sealed it when he started eating algae wafers out of my fingers, lol. This one is even more personable and outgoing than my previous pearsei and my amphs.

So goodbye to project amphlipohus for now.
You should grow out a big male buttikoferi for the 300. Similar size and shape as a pearsei just a different coloration and wildly different attitude. And if you want more fish throw in a sworm of convicts that will breed and he may pick them off as he pleases. Although it may not geographically correct they have similar aggression just opposites in size and they both have vertical barring.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Didn’t see that you got a another pearsei until after the post above. Glad you found one so full of personality. But admit the idea above would really cool. Lol you can always get another 300 right.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
You should grow out a big male buttikoferi for the 300. Similar size and shape as a pearsei just a different coloration and wildly different attitude. And if you want more fish throw in a sworm of convicts that will breed and he may pick them off as he pleases. Although it may not geographically correct they have similar aggression just opposites in size and they both have vertical barring.
Kind of like a henchmen and his minions is what I’m going for here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store