Ideas for breeding fish in a 10 or 20?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’m thinking about breeding my own feeders and I have a spare 10 and 20g . I was thinking guppies but they might be a little small for what I’m feeding
Any ideas?
Looking for something that breeds like rabbits that are as easy as possible with minimal effort on my part
Thanks for any ideas

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe platies or swordtails would be a better livebearer option for a 20. Not many fish breed like livebearers.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Maybe platies or swordtails would be a better livebearer option for a 20. Not many fish breed like livebearers.
Thanks, what’s the ratio of males to females with these? Do they eat they’re young?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I’m thinking about breeding my own feeders and I have a spare 10 and 20g . I was thinking guppies but they might be a little small for what I’m feeding
Any ideas?
Looking for something that breeds like rabbits that are as easy as possible with minimal effort on my part
Thanks for any ideas
Self cloning crayfish? They're small enough for 38-76 liters and breed pretty easily, for obvious reasons.

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Your fish will get better nutrition from a properly chosen pellet diet, and there are very, very few predatory species
that can't be switched over to pellets or frozen foods with some effort spent "training" them.

More to the point, you'll never breed and raise enough of anything in a single 10 or 20 gallon to provide more than just an occasional snack for your predators. Livebearers or convicts will certainly produce young in there, but how many can you possibly hope to raise up to feeding size in such a tiny tank?

This is like trying to become self-sufficient by growing corn in an herb garden on your kitchen windowsill. The scale is all wrong.

Pix Pix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2017
Breeding for the challenge is good but if you are doing it to save money, it is not. Just work an extra hour at work and you got the money for feeders. Or better yet, breed a fish you have interest in and sell or trade them for feeders. You are going to spend the same amount of effort and time doing either one. You might as well do something that has interest for you. The feeder you can hatch is the baby brine shrimp to feed the babies fishes that you breed. Motivation and interest are keys to staying in the hobby.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I’m not doing this to save money or out of interest in breeding, it seems that one of my fish is going to be really tough to get of if live food and I don’t trust the pet store feeders, but I guess I can use that 20g and load it full of feeder goldfish and qt/treat them. I’m thinking that might be better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store