Ideas for heating outdoor ponds in cool climates

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I am only doing this thread as a mental puzzle for everyone I am moving to a hot area but I want ideas for heating and cooling outdoor ponds

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Idea for heating pond in cool climate: put down black canvas around pond to collect heat and place greenhouse film over pond

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Homemade air heater idea: get large plastic container, drill holes In lid , place 1 layer of bricks then add heating blanket on automatic timer set heater in greenhouse in dry place.

5BigFish

Feeder Fish
Jul 27, 2018
I’m trying to figure out how to heat my pond I’m new to site and didn’t know how to start my own thread. It’s about 2400 gallon pond and I need it to stay 72 degrees in winter months I know it’s costly. I have a redtail catfish tiger shovel nose catfish and a hybrid of them a peacock bass and a gar any help is great

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I’m trying to figure out how to heat my pond I’m new to site and didn’t know how to start my own thread. It’s about 2400 gallon pond and I need it to stay 72 degrees in winter months I know it’s costly. I have a redtail catfish tiger shovel nose catfish and a hybrid of them a peacock bass and a gar any help is great
Put a greenhouse screen over your pond, then get a outdoor people heater, put the greenhouse film over the pond by making a wood or metal frame

Reactions: davemal

Giant Val

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2017
Qld, Australia
I used a big (approx 5m round x 2m high) compost heap with 300m of one inch poly pipe coiled through it. I pumped pond water at around 10L/minute through the piping before returned to pond. Water came out of the pipe almost too hot to touch. Kept 40,000L pond warm through the winter.

Reactions: davemal

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
just by putting 4inches of polystyrene over my pond its stopped if freezing for the last few years. Need to be careful to keep control of heat, too much can be worse than none.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store