Ideas for lighting

Astoria

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
USA
www.youtube.com
I have the led strip that came with my 75 gallon and I bought another (upgraded) version and use both light bars for my 75 gallon.

I'm curious on lighting options. Are there submersible lights people use on aquariums? Is there anything better/cheaper than the typical lighting that's sold at Petsmart or LFS?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Do you intend to grow plants or is it just for show?

So many options online. Mail-order is the way to go for aquarium specific lighting. Nicrew is a popular 'brand' off amazon.

If you want to go DIY, you can use 4 foot T8 fluorescent shop lights or LED shop lights.

Reactions: Polypterus_36

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Do you intend to grow plants or is it just for show?

So many options online. Mail-order is the way to go for aquarium specific lighting. Nicrew is a popular 'brand' off amazon.

If you want to go DIY, you can use 4 foot T8 fluorescent shop lights or LED shop lights.
Nicrew are really nice LED lights for their price, but I find them much too bright for my aquariums.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you like your tank full of algae.

I would try DIY instead.?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
i need to get a timer working for my lights to be turned off at night
I just use inexpensive lamp timers for my lights.

I've also used those incandescent aluminum reflector clamp on utility lights. I fit them with LED bulbs, remove the clamps and set them directly on the glass tops.

Reactions: celebrist

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I saw some industrial shop lights called Simkar Reflect-A-Bay. When I saw them, I had to have them. We put them in the equipment room, over the tank, in the garage and in our utility room. We have five lights mounted above the tank and have two switches so we can have two, three or all five lights on. We bought the protective cover for ours. In this picture the plastic sheeting had only been removed from the first light only.
1611016242538.png

While we haven't filled up the tank yet, the lights are more than adequate to penetrate the 4' height of the tank.
1611016332811.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store