Identification Help

Harryfor54

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hi everyone, I've just purchased a snakehead from my LFS. They told me it was a dwarf snakehead that would get to around 6 inch which it already is. I done some research and I'm a bit worried as the only snakehead that I found that looks like it is the giant snakehead. Could you please tell me what it is.

If more pictures are required I'll be happy to post.

Thanks.

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

Reactions: SBM

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Look like baby Channa micropeltes.

Reactions: SBM and chefwill

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Looks exactly like my Diplos.

It's really hard to tell them apart, but they really look like them.

So if you bought them the price of dwarves, you made a nice buy, but you'll require quite the tank to keep those alive.

Harryfor54

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Looks exactly like my Diplos.

It's really hard to tell them apart, but they really look like them.

So if you bought them the price of dwarves, you made a nice buy, but you'll require quite the tank to keep those alive.
Took it back to the fish store just incase didn't want to take the risk. Got a channa bleheri ordered in instead.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Took it back to the fish store just incase didn't want to take the risk. Got a channa bleheri ordered in instead.
You'll love bleheris, they're very personable fishes. Mine used to dance in front of the window whenever I entered the room, begging for food. ;)

But like all channas, mess with their tank, and they'll pout for a week. ;)

Just a piece of advice, the more you plant your tank, the more you'll see your channas! If kept in a bare bottom, it'll just sit in a corner and be boring. :)

Harryfor54

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
You'll love bleheris, they're very personable fishes. Mine used to dance in front of the window whenever I entered the room, begging for food. ;)

But like all channas, mess with their tank, and they'll pout for a week. ;)

Just a piece of advice, the more you plant your tank, the more you'll see your channas! If kept in a bare bottom, it'll just sit in a corner and be boring. :)
Thanks for the advice.Im thinking about trying the bleheri In with my gold severums they are very peaceful and too large to be considered food. If it doesn't work then I want to get a few bleheris and use my empty 290 litre tank as a species only tank.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Very small chances (nigh impossible) that it works with your severum.

Either the channa will see him as food, or in the case you mentioned, will see him as a threat, and will hide all day. If you want to see their true potential, species only is the way to go.

Harryfor54

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2017
Very small chances (nigh impossible) that it works with your severum.

Either the channa will see him as food, or in the case you mentioned, will see him as a threat, and will hide all day. If you want to see their true potential, species only is the way to go.
Species only it is then. How man bleheris could I have in my 290litre? Is there any bottom feeders I could have maybe some larger catfish(I have Pictus the now) Also are they okay in gravel as substrate? I prefer sand but always had trouble getting plants to grow in sand compared to gravel. I would like it to be all planted with some drift wood and nice rocks whith my channas swimming through the plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store