Identify this bicher?

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Thanks for that fruitbat,Ive seen them in a tank with weeksii but both were only about 3" so at that size it was difficult to see so many differences.As we are maxed out on polys at the moment we passed on getting any but im sure we will regret it.

Fruitbat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2004
africanman.....

Which fish looks more like P. bichir lapradei?? If you're referring to the fish in the original post....it certainly can't be a lapradei. The dorsal finlets are too far back for any of the P. bichir complex (they all have a relatively small number of predorsal scales) and the lower jaw doesn't protrude. The head isn't flattened enough dorsally for one of the 'lower jaw' bichirs either. If you're referring to the fish I posted as the 'Zaire Green'....it is definitely a protruding upper jaw bichir and the first dorsal finlet is MUCH too far back to even consider it being P. bichir lapradei.

-Joe

africanman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
I was referring to the fish in question, not the Zaire green in your photo.
I'd based my initial opinion on the dorsal view of the fish in post # 9 as well as the side view of the last fish in same post. I did not see the close-up photo of the head.
That fish is certainly not a Zaire Green.

I've yet to see a wild Ornate, Buettikofferi, Weeksii or Zaire green with a hunched back. Judging by the dorsal view of the fish in the photo(head shape and pectorial fin pattern) i would have insisted on Lapradei(young fish) or Lapradei. However, the side view suggests otherwise.

It's somewhat confusing and the blurry photos don't help matters. Is this a farm raised fish ??? May be a hybrid.

Fruitbat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2004
I suppose there could be a slight chance that the fish is a hybrid.....but I have seen P. delhezi with that 'hunchback' appearance on occasion. I'll still stick with my diagnosis of P. delhezi :)

-Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store