If exceptional koi are random color mutations, why are “breeder” koi so expensive?

Napkin Engineer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2018
Here’s a freshman question for all you genomics experts - which I genuinely don’t know the answer to:

If “exceptional” koi are random color mutations, why are breeder koi so expensive?

(Restated: Is there a difference between a desirable “trait” and a “mutation” in a carp which has been inbred for thousands of years?)
I understand why someone would want to purchase a $500, 10-year-old koi for their pond, like, to look at... for their color, iridescence, or behaviors, from an aesthetic point of view, but I don’t understand why someone who wants to cut their teeth in the koi breeding game, as if that’s possible, which I don’t think it is really financially,. I don’t understand why breeders might pay $3,000 or $10,000 for a “breeder“ koi for its characteristic traits, or “superior genetics” if the two parents are two rare examples of beautiful mutations which also happen to be healthy.

While I don’t know much about genetics, won’t breeding two heavily mutated carp produce offspring with a large percentage of fatal mutations, and most others of ordinary or less interesting colors? Is there really a higher probability of getting higher quality koi offspring, or a higher probability of getting the same colors as the parents then with just random bottom tank picks?

I’m asking about after a conversation with someone knowledgeable in this field. Who claims that the best koi are merely selected out of hundreds of thousands of specimens in a large mud pond, and it’s just the luck of the draw and the care of the fish. For sure, that seems to be a big part of it. Being able to flip several thousand coins as it were. But this person also seem to claim that breeding with quote on quote superior genetics won’t produce koi of superior quality any more or less than breeding average koi. In fact, breeder koi might produce even fewer desirable offspring then a less in-bred or mutated specimen, because they are healthier and have a more diverse gene pool between the two parents.

I’m not so sure.

Is there any truth to this?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Breeder koi are broodstock which produce "true to type" offspring. So quite a high percentage of young will be similar to each other and parents. This is quite a long way from fish throwing random mutations and can take generations to develop desirable traits consistently (I mean great grand children of fish farmers - not simply a few generations of fish). And farmers reputation, fish lineage, popularity and potential to produce high numbers of quality fish will influence prices.

The other aspect poorly understood by us uneducated non koi folk is these koi get constantly graded (culled) so a lot of sorting, handling, inspections, etc. A high grade koi would take several years of culling from several hundred thousand fish to achieve so your not buying one koi, but all the years of expert dedication and thousands of fish at once. This also takes a lot of pond & tank resources as you need to grow in a fashion that reliably traces lineage

You can definitely cut your teeth on any koi of any quality for breeding. The best results are from line breeding, not cross or outward breeding. The concept is straightforward and hand spawning provides an easy way to attempt different selections reliably. Or you can short cut 150 - 500 years of selective breeding by fanatical fish families and buy their fish. You still need to selectively breed, sort and cull to maintain their quality..

Reactions: Napkin Engineer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store