If you would like a new world cichlid gender ID, some traits to show in your photos.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you would like a cichlid gender ID, there are some obvious traits to display in your photos for many American cichlids.
Venting can be difficult for some people to see, and often hard to photograph clearly without causing the fish undo stress, so the outward appearance can the next best thing.

In many cichlids the lower jaw makes gender ID obvious, so it is very important to display a clear view of the lower jaw
For JDs, females have plenty of blue color on the lower jaw, males don’t (females often have what is commonly called a blue beard).

In many Parachromis species, the males display lots of small spots on the lower jaw, females, not so many, to the point of having none at all, as is the case with this Parachromis motaguense male

and female below

The dorsal fin
many males display spots on the dorsal, so it is important to show an erect dorsal in your photo, if it is clamped down too much, gender ID may be nearly impossible.

Below Hypsophrys nicaraguense, male

The female dorsal may display solid colored, or dark areas areas, but few spots,
female nic below

same goes for Nandopsis tetracanthus, a female below note the solid black area

Nandopsis tetracanthus male, note the dark areas are mottled

also note the same profile differences suggested in the paragraph below

Head Profile, most male cichlids have a steeper profile than females, so a side view emphasizing the shape of your cichlids profile can be very important.

Below a male Herichthys carpintus, note the steep profile

below a female, note the more torpedo shape profile

a similar profile display in Amatitlanis
Cutteri male

below female

and in Mesoheros festae
male

below 2 females

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks!
Maybe this cutdown on repeat post.

Do you find any consistency in the posterior profile shape of the fish?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thanks!
Maybe this cutdown on repeat post.

Do you find any consistency in the posterior profile shape of the fish?
I haven't, but it may just be something I've simply overlooked.
I'm trying to determine gender differences in my Andinoacara at the moment.
The males seem to have a more elongated body, with the females slightly stubbier.
It's only obvious to me at this point, during spawning though, when the females light and dark seem to sharply contrast, while the males remain consistent.
female
male

Reactions: Toiletcar

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I haven't, but it may just be something I've simply overlooked.
I'm trying to determine gender differences in my Andinoacara at the moment.
The males seem to have a more elongated body, with the females slightly stubbier.
It's only obvious to me at this point, during spawning though, when the females light and dark seem to sharply contrast, while the males remain consistent.
female
View attachment 1365779
male
View attachment 1365780
I may be wrong and I have lots to learn.
But I would agree with what wrote above.
When growing out fish it appears that females have more defined angle up towards the tail from the genitals. While males tend to be rounded.

In my first 15 yrs or so in the hobby, when I never discussed fish with anyone, I attributed this to be for egg storage and production.
But I’m no scientist just an obsessive observer.
Not to ruin your thread just curious if others have seen the same.

Edited as had flipped male in female in my description

Last edited:

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
This is good stuff but isn't the rule of thumb that venting or breeding is the only sure fire way to sex cichlids?
With physical characteristics I have always read there are exceptions to the "rule".
Example-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store