I'm a newbie and need every little bit of advice on how to add coral to a tank as I can!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I'm going to be starting up a small 10 gallon reef tank soon (my first time dealing with salt water), and I have a few questions about adding coral that I couldn't seem to get from googling. Heres a list:
1. I'm going to be buying frags at my LFS with the plugs on the bottom, do you need to take the coral off of the plugs once acclimated (and how do you go about removing it)? or do you leave them on for a while, or can you just keep them with the plugs on?
2. What is the best way to acclimate the corals? From what I've read you are supposed to get a separate container with the water it came with, and slowly add aquarium water. is this correct?
3. Should I add coral before or after adding fish? The way I've planned it out, I'll have the tank cycle for a couple weeks, then add the fish, and finally add coral. Does this sound good?
4. Finally, what are the best ways to apply coral to the rock in the aquarium?

Any advice will be helpful! #1 is the most important one I need advice on for me!

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
if this helps at all, I'm going with Mushroom coral, Leather coral, and Green Star polyps.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Take it slow. Make sure your tank is well cycled and put together before you add anything. Once you add something, make it something small and hardy. I waited 2 months to add in corals and when I did it was simple zoas.
1. You can keep the frags on the plug if you want. If you want to take them off then you gently scrape them off with a razor blade.
2. to acclimate a coral you can either add in a bit of water every 5-10 minutes or you can do what I did and use a section of airline tubing with a thing at the end that slowed the flow rate down to about 1 drop a second.
3. Depends what fish you want, if you want a mandarin or a fish that is sensitive then you should wait. If you want to add in blennys or a clownfish or something hardy then you can add that in first. What you plan on doing sounds good, but you should wait a bit longer for corals because you need all the parameters in a good spot, fish don't really need that.
4. Coral Glue
Hope this helps. Just take everything slow and make sure your tank is cycled

Reactions: PGJE
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store