I'm wondering what strain is my flowerhorn. He looks like a red dragon, a zhen zhou or a kamfa.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well I think they meant SB Red Apple; can't tell for sure from that camera angle but it looks like a short body red dragon. Red Apple is basically a marketing term that some breeder is using for their particular line they've developed. In this case it seems an apt description, cool looking lil' guy and interesting flowerline -- good luck with him!

Reactions: uprisingjohn

uprisingjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
Well I think they meant SB Red Apple; can't tell for sure from that camera angle but it looks like a short body red dragon. Red Apple is basically a marketing term that some breeder is using for their particular line they've developed. In this case it seems an apt description, cool looking lil' guy and interesting flowerline -- good luck with him!
This is him.

uprisingjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2019

Thanks! That's also what I'm thinking the closest strain to identify my flowerhorn is the red dragon, he's pretty healthy and growing fast feedong him krill chicken heart and 2 variety of enhancers(humpy head & ever red). I feed him 3 times a day and syphoon all waste daily every evening.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Welcome. Regarding food, people have different takes on how to best feed a flowerhorn, I fall into the "only pellets" camp (and for sure would never feed chicken or beef heart). Also Humpy Head and Ever Red are ok as FH foods go, but if you can't get more primo stuff like NLS, Northfin, Excalibur, etc. then I'd consider Hikari (e.g. Bio Gold+, Red Parrot+ and Cichlid gold). They're not perfect insofar as ingredient list but a step above Humpy & ER imo.

If you haven't already seen it I recently posted a good video about Flowerhorn keeping -- starting from about 14:40 the guy talks a lot about feeding only pellets, but of course do what you feel is best for your fish. And kudos, getting into the habit of daily siphoning will help your FH to feel and show its best.

Check out that video here, it's long but worth the time: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/very-informative-flowerhorn-video.722324/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store