In-bar tank filtration

Supalah17

Candiru
Original poster
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Currently building the bar base for a 210g (72”xL;29”xH;24”D) aquarium. The tank will only be about 6” or so off the ground as it’s being built into a basement bar. I have an FX6 I can use for filtration as well as a large HoB filter pretty much just used for water polishing. But my question is whether or not being on the same level as the tank itself will negatively effect the capability of the FX6 or not, and if someone has better ideas for a filter or unique ways to plumb the FX6 in this situation.

there will be about a 6” space worth of overhang from the bar top coming over the back of the tank; this overhang will be used to keep equipment contained and covered on the back of the aquarium. I will need to buy additional hoses at least to cover the span of the back of the tank since at best, the canister will be off to the side and have to stretch from one end to the other. I don’t see a ton of tanks built low to the ground like this, so I can’t seem to find much on filtration ideas.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Currently building the bar base for a 210g (72”xL;29”xH;24”D) aquarium. The tank will only be about 6” or so off the ground as it’s being built into a basement bar. I have an FX6 I can use for filtration as well as a large HoB filter pretty much just used for water polishing. But my question is whether or not being on the same level as the tank itself will negatively effect the capability of the FX6 or not, and if someone has better ideas for a filter or unique ways to plumb the FX6 in this situation.

there will be about a 6” space worth of overhang from the bar top coming over the back of the tank; this overhang will be used to keep equipment contained and covered on the back of the aquarium. I will need to buy additional hoses at least to cover the span of the back of the tank since at best, the canister will be off to the side and have to stretch from one end to the other. I don’t see a ton of tanks built low to the ground like this, so I can’t seem to find much on filtration ideas.
Tbh I have no experience with Cannister Filters but if other members say the Cannister Filter won't work then I suggest using more HOB Filters.

Backfromthedead

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Look into corner matten filters or otherwise rigging up sponge filters in the back corners. You could also run two or three big hang on back filters on the back. An ac110 needs just 5" clearance off the back of the tank so youd be good there.

Im not a big canister guy myself, but when i did use an fx6, i found it worked best when the plumbing was simple and the input and output were the same length and at the same level.

What is the bar layout? Is it L shaped and the can is going in the back area? Or is it longer than the tank and the can going beside it? In either case i would get another fx6 and run one off each side. One fx6 wont provide enough flow or capacity for that size tank ime.

Reactions: tlindsey

ZIPLOCKEDBRZ

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2019
NH
i hope you you make a build thread for this... this is something ive always wanted to do and would love to see pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store