MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
I currently have a 55 gallon (upgrading to a 90 soon) with the following fish;

(1) Jack Dempsey, 4”
(1) jaguar cichlid, 3”
(1) green Texas cichlid, 2”
(1) Firemouth cichlid, 2”
(4) giant danios, 3”

Here lately all of the fish spend the majority of the time hiding/sitting in one space. I have noticed the danios are all grouped together in the front bottoms corner of the tank (they used to swim all over). Water parameters are normal (ph 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20) and nothing I can think of has really changed. They all eat when I feee them.

Is this normal behavior for young cichlids like this? They just seem very skiddish. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

PS. I am aware jaguars get rather large and I am prepared to do whatever is necessary when that time comes.

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
I currently have a 55 gallon (upgrading to a 90 soon) with the following fish;

(1) Jack Dempsey, 4”
(1) jaguar cichlid, 3”
(1) green Texas cichlid, 2”
(1) Firemouth cichlid, 2”
(4) giant danios, 3”

Here lately all of the fish spend the majority of the time hiding/sitting in one space. I have noticed the danios are all grouped together in the front bottoms corner of the tank (they used to swim all over). Water parameters are normal (ph 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10-20) and nothing I can think of has really changed. They all eat when I feee them.

Is this normal behavior for young cichlids like this? They just seem very skiddish. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

PS. I am aware jaguars get rather large and I am prepared to do whatever is necessary when that time comes.
F9776365-6F27-4C5D-95F6-4231DFE04D4A.jpeg

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
In my opinion this type of stocking is never as good as just keeping a single species. With this kind of set up all your going to get is 1 dominant fish and 3 other fish that never really thrive. If I were you I would keep which ever is your favorite fish and rehome the other 3.

Reactions: Zanzag

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
In my opinion this type of stocking is never as good as just keeping a single species. With this kind of set up all your going to get is 1 dominant fish and 3 other fish that never really thrive. If I were you I would keep which ever is your favorite fish and rehome the other 3.
I have thought about doing that, I just feel like the tank is going to be very bare/boring until said fish gets larger. You think maybe keep 1 and then get a school of silver dollars or something?

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
It will not be boring. You will notice better behavior and all around better health and cleaner water. Plus if you upgrade to a 90 you could keep a pair of jd or a pair of Texas and experience breeding behavior which is very entertaining.

Reactions: Bobby2415

Bobby2415

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2019
It will not be boring. You will notice better behavior and all around better health and cleaner water. Plus if you upgrade to a 90 you could keep a pair of jd or a pair of Texas and experience breeding behavior which is very entertaining.
Do you have any experience with trimacs? I have taken a liking to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store