Indian Muddy Moray stopped eating

ShadowWolfBloodMoonBorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2019
My Indian Muddy Moray who usually has a great appetite stopped eating. Oddly enough when my saltwater snowflake eel started eating. Because I got my saltwater a little after my Indian muddy she is about half the size of my Indian. She was timid for about a month and a half before she started eating she will now come up and take a shrimp from tweezers but now my Indian muddy has stopped eating! Could it be because I have it in full Marine? I have heard it must be brackish to marine so I have both in full marine. Also try as I might I can't get the nitrates down I know this could also be the problem! I use boxed water, live rock, live sand, I have a internal filter (which I heard was best) I have added about a gallon of live bacteria over three months, turned off my powerhead and tried blocking any possible sun light from getting in I also have a 50/50 bulb! I would love to get some more invertebrates but with the nitrates through the roof I can't justify them just dying off I have tried 25 -75% water changes, and nothing drops them my nitrites have finally dropped, but nitrates are still high! I use seacem safe but am afraid of overdosing the tank! I put just a bit in everytime. I have diatoms so I know my tank has cycled. I have been looking all over the internet trying to figure it out! I had to crash my tank into full saltwater because the ”freshwater” eel was at the bottom lifeless and upside down. It has been doing wonderful for the past two months but now won't eat. Also for the life of me I cannot get them to eat anything other then shrimp and silversides. They ignore the calamari and bivalves! Help please I love my babies and want to get their tank in better condition.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
What is your full water parameters? And how long has the tank been set up

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My Indian Muddy Moray who usually has a great appetite stopped eating. Oddly enough when my saltwater snowflake eel started eating. Because I got my saltwater a little after my Indian muddy she is about half the size of my Indian. She was timid for about a month and a half before she started eating she will now come up and take a shrimp from tweezers but now my Indian muddy has stopped eating! Could it be because I have it in full Marine? I have heard it must be brackish to marine so I have both in full marine. Also try as I might I can't get the nitrates down I know this could also be the problem! I use boxed water, live rock, live sand, I have a internal filter (which I heard was best) I have added about a gallon of live bacteria over three months, turned off my powerhead and tried blocking any possible sun light from getting in I also have a 50/50 bulb! I would love to get some more invertebrates but with the nitrates through the roof I can't justify them just dying off I have tried 25 -75% water changes, and nothing drops them my nitrites have finally dropped, but nitrates are still high! I use seacem safe but am afraid of overdosing the tank! I put just a bit in everytime. I have diatoms so I know my tank has cycled. I have been looking all over the internet trying to figure it out! I had to crash my tank into full saltwater because the ”freshwater” eel was at the bottom lifeless and upside down. It has been doing wonderful for the past two months but now won't eat. Also for the life of me I cannot get them to eat anything other then shrimp and silversides. They ignore the calamari and bivalves! Help please I love my babies and want to get their tank in better condition.

Welcome aboard
As stated by sikoko sikoko please list parameters and provide the info on how long the aquarium has been up and running. That info is critical for us to further assist you.

ShadowWolfBloodMoonBorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2019
My Indian muddy finally started eating though not as big of an apitite .
I’m fairly new to this whole thing...
Ph 8
Nitrite 0
Amon. .25-.5 (closer to .25)
Calcium 660
Nitrates 160+ ( my nitrites have always been this high wether salt or fresh. For awhile it was my tap and I started using bottled water but I've never used anything but boxed ocean water for my salt! Even with the bottled water it never really went down! I feed them with tweezers and only what they will eat a few times I left a couple shrimp in case my saltwater wanted to start eating, especially after a month went by. but from day 4(when I first tested) its been through the roof...with All new stuff things have been that high.
This is in a ten gallon tank for the moment until I can make room to put them in a thirty or fifty gallon. I also need to know if I can overdose sechem safe or beneficial bacteria.
Also my muddy has a wound in not sure if the snowflake bit him or not but also had some scrape like wounds that it's had before and I got healed that I don't know how he gets!

0481ECCC-3033-409E-8092-720F482E74C0.jpeg

10A4DFF3-D9D8-47E2-BEF8-F45E081AB31D.jpeg

7943EB1E-8011-497B-AA9C-47B9CC1D836B.jpeg

88238D50-DAA8-4BB7-BF68-B38534C969C4.jpeg

3E6BBFE0-92C6-4855-BE2A-670A8773F15E.jpeg

981DD8F2-60B4-47A4-9E4C-33E0E7D49AF1.jpeg

02E36326-5D35-4932-B03C-6D7A63110AD5.jpeg

ShadowWolfBloodMoonBorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2019
:p also the tank has been up 3 months... I had to switch it over real quick to save my muddy. I was wondering to if that is normal for a bumble bee they seem to be more sluggish that the nassarist snails and not much to them.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
The ammonia I really high so I would recommend water changes every day or every other day

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I would do the water changes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store