Indian shovel nose

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Anyone else keep these catfish?? What do they eat? How big are they? I would like to see some pics. Mine eats massivore pellets like crazy and is about 18 inches and growing fast. Trys to own the bottom of the tank like a boss.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Anyone else keep these catfish??
***Yes.

What do they eat?
***Pellets and small thawed fish.

How big are they?
***33"

I would like to see some pics.
***https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7755689

Mine eats massivore pellets like crazy and is about 18 inches and growing fast. Trys to own the bottom of the tank like a boss.
***Sounds right.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Mines currently around 20" and relatively peaceful. Lives at same dark end of pond with 2 ft red tail and slightly larger giraffes, but co exists with 10" pims and a 28" wykii.
do see scrape marks on him but assume that's maybe the pims. Again only eats pellets and ignores white fish and mussel.
Interestingly I was talking to an catcher/importer/seller recently about these and he still believes we do not know the true size these fish can reach.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
only eats pellets and ignores white fish and mussel.
Precisely the same here. Only pellets are taken, but with great appetite.

Only recently when I added small glass minnows to the offering, an anchovy species (a thin fish, about 2"), have I noticed ours to start taking those. Still ignore pilchards, a herring species, which are slightly bulkier and bigger, 3"-5".

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Looks good but one thing that throws me off is the eyes, they look like they are bulging out unnaturally.

When I had a supposed columnaris outbreak in all my tanks, many and diverse fish displayed a similar symptom.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Looks good but one thing that throws me off is the eyes, they look like they are bulging out unnaturally.

When I had a supposed columnaris outbreak in all my tanks, many and diverse fish displayed a similar symptom.
What other symptoms did the fish have? I dont see anything else that would lead me to think that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store