indian stone fish or freshwater lion fish

BigFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2005
Washington
i want to get one from fugupuff but dont they need brackish water. but he says on their that they are freshwater. is this a new species, and can i get one.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Most species sold as FW lionfish (there are a few) will tolerate FW but do better in lightly brackish, it doesn't need to be much, the suggested level of 1 TBS/5 gallons will do for most and the majority of other fish tolerate that level quite well. Be careful what you keep with it, they don't move much but can strike quickly and eat suprisingly large fish. I would suggest that everything in the tank be at least a bit bigger than it is.

paOol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2005
Fish Land
i saw the ones you are talking about at fugupuff's store. he has them with some archer fish right now, but i dunno if that helps, because i think archers are slightly brackish also. o_O

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
there is one spiecies and it is quit rare . in fw they will not eat and slowly die

starrfish71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
Gainesville, Florida
guppy is the most correct-
slightly brackish water is best- while they will eat large fish, they also have no scales and are not aggresive, so avoid tankmates like territorial catfish or plecos. I've had them in the past- but I kept them in a lightly brackish tank, not fresh water. I think I used two tablespoons of salt to five gallons.

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
the amazonica is the only freshwater species if we are talking about the same fish. i have one and its amazing, but hard to feed in the Uk as we cannot feed live feeders

danny boy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
gatwick
well its technical really. its illegal to feed a vertebrate to another vertebrate. all related to the mad cows disease. i also think its true of america but have never found any sites to verify it.

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
I used to have one in freshwater but he ate some of his tankmates so be careful about tankmates size and he should do fine in freshwater mine did.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store