indoor pond best filter

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I would use some type of pond filter. You can get them pretty cheap by filter standards. Tetra makes a filter called the TetraPond BioFilter (bet it took them a while to think of that name LOL). It looks like a canister but is actually like a wet/dry. It takes water out of the pond (by a pump you supply) and then the water trickles over a filter pad. After the pad are bio-balls or something of the sort, the water trickles over this and then back into your pond. The prices run from $60-$80. They work good for small outdoor ponds and I'm sure they would work on your friends indoor pond.
They come in a few sizes:
PF-1 -max flow is 500gph- ponds up to 1200 gal
PF-2 -max flow is 750gph- ponds up to 1800 gal
PF-3 -max flow is 1000gph-ponds up to 2400gal

I would use one that is rated for something twice the size of your buddy's pond. Overfilter them suckas!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Your pond is just under 375 g so there are several ways you can go, I like a DYI filter set up made by dropping a submersble pump into the pond and pushing the water through tubing at the bottom of a water trough, it bubbles up through 6-8" of gravel, the trough is then topped off with water plants like elodea and water lettuce or water hyacynth, it is then fed across a rippled splash tray back into the pond.
This way actually cost as much as many standard commercial filters but I like the sound and the plants, I also like using the plant trough for guppies. For your pondputting this set up at one end or side would add 26". It would consist of a 60$ pump (1250gph) and a 100 gallon stock trough, about 200 lbs of gravel, 80 or so floating plants, several bunches oh elodea, and some odds and ends. they work very well but do need a mesh pre screen at the pump.

ballsmcgee1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Mpls, MN
our original filter was a pump, which didn't filter for anything. we then decided to get a fluval 4 plus, which works good....

Tim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Wpg, MB
I'm using a 2 ocean clear canisters on my and its sparkling and polished, even with the heavy bioload. Weekly 40% water changes help

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hiya Mountain, welcome to MFK. Do us a favor please, don't use all caps, it is like shouting all the time.
How big a pond does your barrel set up filter and do you use a sponge box or other prefilter?

ChickenTeeth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
Canada
If room is not an issue build it bigger!!! Cuz once u build it u will wish u built it bigger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store