Infection around Frontosa anus. Need advice. Thanks!

davet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
USA
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0 ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
0ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Just noticed this yesterday. No other fish affected. Frontosa is 3 years old, has been in the same tank since 12 weeks old. Please advise course of treatment,

Thanks!

Image (1).jpeg

Image.jpeg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Looks like what happens when a female has impacted eggs, something they can be susceptible to. It's tough to cure at this stage, but the best shot is heavy Epsom Salt (at least one cup per 100 gals, some have done two cups per 100 gals) and Kanamycin (Kanaplex is one product).

I found that prevention consists of keeping some Epsom Salt in the water and adding extra whenever a female starts developing eggs (varies, but this can be every two or three months for an individual female).

Reactions: RD. and kno4te

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
...There are a couple of risky treatments that only rarely seem to work--- some try massaging the eggs out, some try needling, like some do to cure "float" (a different condition). The only other thing would be if you had access to a vet who treats fish.

davet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
USA
Yeah, I kind of figured it was eggs after doing a little research. When you say " It's tough to cure at this stage" do you mean it is likely terminal for the fish?

I think I will try and message the eggs out as you mentioned above. I have already salt. Thanks much for your help!

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Be sure to use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) not Salt (sodium chloride).

Reactions: RD. and kno4te

davet

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
USA
Be sure to use Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) not Salt (sodium chloride).
[/QUOTE
Was using API Aquarium Salt. It does not list specific ingredients, just says "made from evaporated sea water". I assume it is not magnesium sulfate?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Also ensure that you use pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) that contains zero surfactants/soap,fragrance, etc. Most pharmacies carry what you need, including Walmart. Good luck

Reactions: neutrino and deeda

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
When you say " It's tough to cure at this stage" do you mean it is likely terminal for the fish?
There's hope, I've had it go both ways, but unfortunately it's often fatal. I have cured some I thought I might lose because of the stage they were at, but the sooner you can recognize and catch it the better your odds. There's been a lot of Cyphotilapia-specfic discussion on "egg bound" over the years, especially on a couple of now defunct Cyphotilapia forums-- treatment and theories about causes. I did (and posted) a lot of research, but I eventually found I could prevent and virtually eliminate it simply by adding Epsom salt to water changes (in my water I do 1/4-1/3 cup per 100 gals), adding extra when I detect a female is fattening with eggs, and even more if I see behavior changes indicating any problem. Lake Tanganyika is higher in magnesium than the other major East African lakes, which may be a factor in my opinion.

Aquarium salt, canning salt, sea salt, Morton's salt, etc. are all sodium chloride, sea salt may have trace minerals, table salt may have anit-caking additives. A lot of people who are wise to this use canning salt (or Kosher salt) rather than pay a premium for "aquarium" salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te and RD.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Also ensure that you use pure epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) that contains zero surfactants/soap,fragrance, etc. Most pharmacies carry what you need, including Walmart. Good luck
I stumbled into finding this out years ago. Picked a bag off the same shelf as before, never occurred to me that there was perfumed Epsom salt. Added to my water change as usual and "What the heck! Why am I'm smelling perfume?" Looked at the package-- lavender scented. Quick put the fish in another tank and did (more than) a 100% water change, which saved the day.

Reactions: tlindsey and deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store