info for a noob

k98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
CANADA
i like the color and the shape of the sveni,but i would like to know if this one is considered a active pike?i project to put a pair in a planted 50g wath do you think about that?if the sveni are not verry active wath kind of sexatilis are more active?

thanks

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Crenicichla sveni are indeed quite active pikes. I used to have a pair, then my e-cat zapped the heck outa my female, seriously sucked. Males get large and are very stocky, impressive looking at adult size. Females are more robust around the belly, being pinkish to red, they also have a spot in the dorsal fin.

Mine particularly LOVED the outflow of my power filters, they would hover infront of the current and snatch anything that got caught up in it. Not a very demanding species, relatively easy to find and pretty cheap. Very very rewarding though..;)

k98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
CANADA
can i buy a pair or i have to buy a group?the male are suposed to be female killer?

thanks guys

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
They aren 't that expensive and really easy to find, so i would go with the larger group option. Its awesome watchin all of the interact anyway, so why not? Your chances are much better that way also, plus you could get two or more pairs...;). If your tank was large enough, ie 150 + you MIGHT be able to get away with two pairs in the same tank....;). Saxatilis pikes realllllly are conspecifically aggressive though, so yeah.

k98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
CANADA
for now i only have a empty 50g for them:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store