Inline heater help

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
I was thinking of getting an inline heater for my tank 2 300 W heaters since they are rated 48-80 gallons depending on which web site your looking at. What are they really rated by the way? My tank is a 110 so I would need 2 but i only have one canister filter (FX5) and some HOB. You cant put one on the return to the canister since it may clog and they dont recomend it. So they say only put it on the return to the tank. Is there anyway to make this work or should i just give the idea up. Because the only thing i could think of is split the pipe back to the tank but i dont know how that would effect the gph and filtration of the tank.

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
3-5 watts per gallon should give you the ability to keep the tank up to 10 degrees warmer than the room.

Rainbow Lifeguard used to make a unit to hold submersible heaters. They should have drawings too.

If you're going to cut the flexible tube return to your tank you'll need to clamp the hose to any connectors. The pressure will eventually blow the hose off otherwise. You can use radiator clamps or if you can afford it Eheim stainless steel clamps sized for your hose. You'll need 2 per cut.

Potential problems: forgetting to unplug and replug the heaters when servicing the filter. I'd use a surge protector and plug the heater and the filter into this unit. That way you just flip the switch to control. You'll need one per combo.

The flow rate will be determinedby the cleanliness of the filter. The hoses will be full of water, so, unless you choose to downsize the hose fittings you won't be adjusting pressure or flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store