Interesting new findings by Japanese scientists!

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Shalom, greetings my fellow eels lovers!

A new research (2016) by Japanese scientists found out some interesting facts: They caught Echidna Nebulosa at the rivermouth (estuarium) of Tabaru River in Yonaguni, Japan. At the same locale they also caught Gymnothorax Richardsonii and Uropterygius Micropterus. (check page 6,8,9)

This shows that for smaller morays, the barrier between pure saltwater and the brackish estuarium is not a closed barrier, they can go back and forth as they please, and thus finding a supposedly "fully marine" eel in brackish water is not so surprising. That's why my fish procurers often caught E. Nebulosas, G. Richardsoniis, U. Micropteruses and other small moray species in the estuarium; that's because these small morays _do_ enter the brackish water regularly, perhaps for hunting or for escaping larger predators.

However, I believe this phenomenon is not global, perhaps only on certain places such as Yonaguni and Indonesia.

Also, we are talking about their natural habitat. In aquarium care, the rule of a good fishkeeper is to put marine eels in saltwater.

The journal is here: http://www.museum.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/publications/pdf_images/yonaguni/Fishes_of_Yonaguni.pdf

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Delightful surprises! My procurer just captured a few more cute morays in the rivermouth. Fishbase has confirmed that G. Pictus and U. Micropterus are marine to brackish, so maybe that E. Nebulosa in that bucket is also marine to brackish, at least the population in Java where they were caught.

IMG-20180622-WA0024.jpg IMG-20180622-WA0022.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Many marine fish we are finding can survive in high to moderate brackish, including among other fish volitan lionfish

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Many marine fish we are finding can survive in high to moderate brackish, including among other fish volitan lionfish
Wow, lionfish too? All this time I thought it was strictly a marine reef fish, incapable of entering brackish. Glad to know they have such capabilities. How low could they go? 10ppt?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Amazing, that means their salinity tolerance are much wider than what is commonly believed. Thank you for the info. Any other marine fishes, that you know of, which could thrive in 1.008-1.010sg half-strength seawater (or mid-brackish, whatever the terms used today)?
Blue devil damselfish can aclimated all the way to full fresh

Reactions: john_lord_b3

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Another fish that swims between salt and fresh is the mullet, which love to eat algae clumps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store