Interesting Observation: "Dither" Fish and BGK

Aquatastic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2019
I have had a BGK for at least 3-4 months. During this time my BGK has shared a tank with a banjo cat, a bichir (who was sickly from the get go and unfortunately died) and a huge, old female betta (original queen of that tank).

Since bringing the BGK home it has always been rather shy and hard to catch a glimpse of...even when feeding during the day time. It always seemed a little more comfortable when any of the other fish were swimming out and about but, due to the bichir being ill and the betta being old, most days all the fish would just spend their day resting and this the bichir only came out when the lights were out in the house.

However, ever since I acquired a female JD two days ago who is swimming all over the tank and already recognizes me as her personal butler/chef (lol) my BGK has had a HUGE change in behavior and has done something I've never seen it do before: feed during the day out in the open.

Being a first-time BGK owner I would like to know if anybody else has noticed this and what others think about this behavior change. Do BGKs also benefit from having dither fish?

TLDR: BGK behavior greatly changed after adding "dither" female JD. Thoughts?

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I have had a BGK for at least 3-4 months. During this time my BGK has shared a tank with a banjo cat, a bichir (who was sickly from the get go and unfortunately died) and a huge, old female betta (original queen of that tank).

Since bringing the BGK home it has always been rather shy and hard to catch a glimpse of...even when feeding during the day time. It always seemed a little more comfortable when any of the other fish were swimming out and about but, due to the bichir being ill and the betta being old, most days all the fish would just spend their day resting and this the bichir only came out when the lights were out in the house.

However, ever since I acquired a female JD two days ago who is swimming all over the tank and already recognizes me as her personal butler/chef (lol) my BGK has had a HUGE change in behavior and has done something I've never seen it do before: feed during the day out in the open.

Being a first-time BGK owner I would like to know if anybody else has noticed this and what others think about this behavior change. Do BGKs also benefit from having dither fish?

TLDR: BGK behavior greatly changed after adding "dither" female JD. Thoughts?
I had a bunch of giant danios as dithers, along with a lot of other fish, in with my BGK and he still prefers to hide all day long.

James Atlas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
One that I owned years ago was really shy until I added a group of clown loach. He was like the ugly duckling swimming around with them. I am convinced he even learned to click like them but I may have romanticised the memory lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store