Intermedia and Rio Negro all dieing

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
Some of you know me, others dont. I had 11 baby intermedia, and 6 baby rio negro in a 220 with 2 FX6 filters running. Temp always at 82. Since these guys came in 3 to 4 months ago, I always fed them crush up FD Krill. Never an issue until about a month ago at 2.5-3.5". One or two here and there dropping out. Breathing alittle heavy. Always the intermedia. Now all of them and I'm down to 2 rio negro. I also have 4 baby oscars, 2-3", and 4 red shoulder severum. All fine. I heard from the guy i bought them from Malones Monsters, that some cichla have a hard time digesting FD Krill due to creatine in it. That it can cause a blockage. I did notice that everyone of them when found dead, looked like there was very little muscle or tissue holding the head on, except for the spine. And it was always from underneath, in between the gill plates and belly. Just seemed like there wasnt much left there to keep the head from popping off. Only at death though. Parameters are nitrates 20 ppm, nitrates 0 ppm, ammonia 0, PH 7.0. Thank you

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
during a 50% water change from the spicket through a hose and into the tank, I add 1 cap of prime. And alittle salt to prevent ich. Other than that I cannot think of anything else

Reactions: dr exum

aroijuana

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
New Jersey
Krill alone is not a great diet for any SA fish really.. Try mixing it up tilapia, Hikari pellets/NLS, shrimp, and krill. Also I'm not shure which bottle of prime you have but usually one cap treats 50g you have a 220 doing 50% water change you need atleast two caps. Did you do any type of quarantine when you got the group?

jimmie1974

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
New Jersey
all have died now. also losing others now. 2 baby oscars and a severum died today. Gonna drain most of the water tomorrrow. Definitely a parasite or something going on

• Sad

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016
Sorry to hear that .

bassinmike85

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2010
California
Jimmie i had the same situation not to far back. i bought the kordons rid ich plus and kordons fishing protector and it saved my remaining fish. sounds like something had a major negative impact on your tank. Do you add anything new before all this happen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store