internal filters?

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i posted that i use internal filters on a few threads but it seems like few people use internal filters of this type:

i haven't seen any one else's, if you use these i would like to see your aquarium setup

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This appears to be just a powerhead with a filter cage snapped onto the bottom intake. Nothing wrong with that, I have had a few powerheads set up that way and they worked pretty well; relatively easy to clean and seemed to last. Also tried a couple of the dedicated internal power filters as well, but never had one last more than year or so. I also found them a PITA to clean.

I generally have so many electrical cords running around my fishroom that I just don't see the point of a separate powercord for a tiny filter serving one small tank. I'm also a bit of an electrical paranoiac (electrician by trade), so it's just one more item to unplug before reaching into the tank, and to remember to plug back in after I'm done. Nowadays, any internal filter I use is a simple sponge powered by a line running from my central air system.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
It's easy to extend the time between cleans if you drop these internal powerfilters into a bucket then bury with gravel and drop the bucket into your tank. This hugely increases the filtering capacity and catches dirty water when you pull the bucket out. The handle is convenient but it looks a bit ghetto.

I understand your reluctance about multiple powered items. On my fish rooms I have several electric circuits and colour coded power outlets. One circuit is emergency backed up for large central air pumps (only), one is for heaters and higher powered items that are likely to trip, One is for my bigger tanks (that I have to dive onto) so it's easy to isolate. Etc.

As an electrician you would be able to customise exactly what you need. (Lucky bugger).

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i use 4 of these 450 gph internal filters in each of my 20 gallon aquariums
so 1800 gph in each 20 gallon

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
It's easy to extend the time between cleans if you drop these internal powerfilters into a bucket then bury with gravel and drop the bucket into your tank. This hugely increases the filtering capacity and catches dirty water when you pull the bucket out. The handle is convenient but it looks a bit ghetto.

I understand your reluctance about multiple powered items. On my fish rooms I have several electric circuits and colour coded power outlets. One circuit is emergency backed up for large central air pumps (only), one is for heaters and higher powered items that are likely to trip, One is for my bigger tanks (that I have to dive onto) so it's easy to isolate. Etc.

As an electrician you would be able to customise exactly what you need. (Lucky bugger).
That is simple and ingenious! But although I can accept a sponge filter in a tank as an unattractive but necessary evil, I'm not quite ready to drop in a pail of gravel; my tanks aren't big enough for "the full immersive experience" :) so a bucket would be just a bit too obtrusive. I use pails like that for water lilies in outdoor ponds, and I can barely stand seeing them there.

And...electricians still pay for the power usage in their houses, and those houses still have limited numbers of circuits and finite incoming service capacities, so we can't perform miracles. :)

E eon aquatics , if you use four separate small filters of 450gph each, it's not even close to the same as a single 1800gph filter. It would be more accurate to say that you turn the tank over at 450gph but have four times the filtration media in use.

Reactions: eon aquatics

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
They're pretty common in my area but they're a pain to clean + don't look great. Plus the suction cups on those fail quite prematurely. I use them in conjunction with an overhead planter sump in some of my tanks. IMO on their own they're not worth the hassle.

Reactions: eon aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store