Tank looks great so far.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I think corals is going to be a slippery slope
Why do you say that?
I did reef for about ten years. I miss it sometimes.
I went all out too probably spent close to 5 grand on a 150. But that was spread over the ten years.
I had a blue jaw for a few years also, great reef trigger never bothered anything.

That was a deal on the rock btw!

Reactions: Matteus

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Why do you say that?
I did reef for about ten years. I miss it sometimes.
I went all out too probably spent close to 5 grand on a 150. But that was spread over the ten years.
I had a blue jaw for a few years also, great reef trigger never bothered anything.

That was a deal on the rock btw!
Slippery slope as in I'll just get 1 mushroom then next thing you know you have a fully dosed sps tank.

My main goal is raising a big imperator. If it will let me I'm going to try softies and a few beginner lps (hammer, frog spawn, etc). Right now I'm studying how to keep alk stable and general parameters. If you have any recommendations on helpful equip like a calc reactor etc I'm all ears.

Right now my stock idea besides the corals:
Imperator (will prob end up in a 240-300 long term)
Blue throat trig
Kole tang
Keyhole Ang
Coral Beauty
Maybe some maroon clowns
Sand sifter goby

Reactions: Matteus

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you’re going to do mostly fish, soft corals and Lps I wouldn’t worry to much about alkalinity and calcium. Usually it’s enough just to do regular water changes with a good salt mix for those mentioned.
Unless you pack the tank full of corals you should ok.
Now if you’re planning to continue to add corals and some sps then I would look into a calc reactor.
I never had a reactor and never got into SPS. I was always tinkering with diy things though.
Made up my own two part dosing with baking soda and calcium chloride solution for calcium and alk.
Tried Vodka dosing for Po4 removal.
Made my own kalkwasser mix for top off water out of pickling lime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store