Intro + Oscar Advice

Discus-Tang

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi everyone, this is my first post on MFK; I've been meaning to sign up for a while.

I keep 4 tanks already, but they are all quite small (5.5 gallon, 7 gallon, 23 gallon, 32 gallon). I'd like to get an Oscar next. I need advice on various things i.e feeding, cleaning HitH, etc. I'm going to buy a 90-100 gallon tank w/ a sump or a canister filter. TIA!

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
Biggest piece of advice is to get as big a tank that you can afford and fit since you never know what you may want to keep in the future. As for filtration I have fluval canisters and so far so good (nearly silent and a pretty clean tank). Cleaning/water changes should be as big and often as possible (I try for at least 50% weekly).

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
First off, Welcome to the Fishy family!

Like Spence Spence said get the biggest tank you can get. Look on Craigslist, Offer up, Letgo till you can find the right deal. I suggest at a minimum a 6ft long 125gal tank. In that a single will be happy, or can do a breeding pair.
---Water changes---
I can't stress this enough. Oscar's are dirty fish. And requires massive water changes. When I got my Oscar I started with fin level water changes every three days. Later when she got bigger I changed it every other day.
---Feeding---
It's best to get it on a pellet staple food, with treats of frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, live crickets, meal worms etc. Treats should be a one time a week deal.
---Filtration---
I use a combo of hobs and canisters. But I live in an apt, so need to keep weight down. If in your own your own home go with sump, they are much better due to the added water volume. I prefer FX4 series of cannisters, and Aqua clear hobs. Well worth the investment as all part can be replaced so should never have to get a new one just worn parts.
---Tank mates---
As with all fish if it fits they will eat it. With that said they can be housed with other fish, they just have to be bigger that the Oscar's mouth. If the Oscar is still growing they they will have to keep up with it's growth or end up as dinner. Silver Dollars did good with mine. She also did good with non Oscar cichlids.
---Growth---
This part gets new fish people quite often, as they are not prepared for it. Oscar's if kept in a good sized tank with good water changes and good food can grow an inch or more a month for the first 12 months. Unlike some fish they get thier size before they can even start to breed. Reaching maturity at 1.5 years of age.

You can see my Oscar's development here in the thread. May pick up some stuff not to do as well

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/toni-and-nemo-my-albino-oscars.690421/

Best of luck to you and your new wet puppy!

Discus-Tang

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2018
Sydney, Australia

Like Spence Spence said get the biggest tank you can get. Look on Craigslist, Offer up, Letgo till you can find the right deal. I suggest at a minimum a 6ft long 125gal tank. In that a single will be happy, or can do a breeding pair.
---Water changes---
I can't stress this enough. Oscar's are dirty fish. And requires massive water changes. When I got my Oscar I started with fin level water changes every three days. Later when she got bigger I changed it every other day.
---Feeding---
It's best to get it on a pellet staple food, with treats of frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, live crickets, meal worms etc. Treats should be a one time a week deal.
---Filtration---
I use a combo of hobs and canisters. But I live in an apt, so need to keep weight down. If in your own your own home go with sump, they are much better due to the added water volume. I prefer FX4 series of cannisters, and Aqua clear hobs. Well worth the investment as all part can be replaced so should never have to get a new one just worn parts.
---Tank mates---
As with all fish if it fits they will eat it. With that said they can be housed with other fish, they just have to be bigger that the Oscar's mouth. If the Oscar is still growing they they will have to keep up with it's growth or end up as dinner. Silver Dollars did good with mine. She also did good with non Oscar cichlids.
---Growth---
This part gets new fish people quite often, as they are not prepared for it. Oscar's if kept in a good sized tank with good water changes and good food can grow an inch or more a month for the first 12 months. Unlike some fish they get thier size before they can even start to breed. Reaching maturity at 1.5 years of age.

You can see my Oscar's development here in the thread. May pick up some stuff not to do as well

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/toni-and-nemo-my-albino-oscars.690421/

Thanks for the advice. I probably can't do a sump as I'm thinking of putting the tank on a tool trolley. Not definant though

Tony A.

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2016

---Water changes---
---Feeding---
---Filtration---
---Tank mates---
---Growth---

Do not feed it any feeders. Rosy reds and gold fish and others in that family are a big no no for them. Oscars are not fish eaters

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
OP, you are getting alot of good advice here ^_^ I've been keeping fish for a long time (never Oscars until recently) but aquired an unwanted Oscar (adultish)a few months ago and another (baby) last night. The members here have been very helpful, improving my methods of care to better suit the needs of this species. I've fallen in love with my adult O named Lazarus. (The forum members helped me name him.) Good luck darlin coz I know if you listen to these folks you'll enjoy yours too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store