Inverted stingray!!!

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
Good morning everyone,
I haven't been on in a while however i have noticed something new with my ray. I have a marble motoro Stingray that I've had for about 5 years now. Last Thursday displayed really erratic behavior and started to flip herself.

I've been doing water changes and she seems to be better as far as erratic behavior and ill be still doing more water changes in the coming days. I know my ammonia went high do to my filter having a issue. However she seems to still be doing these flips ever so often.

She's still eating and isn't displaying the erratic swimming anymore, she also was curling herself similar to death curl but she's not doing that anymore.

My question is, is flipping upside down occasionally normal for a ray? From reading this thread I am assuming its somewhat normal. She's never done it so it through me for a loop.

Any info will help,
Thanks everyone.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Good morning everyone,
I haven't been on in a while however i have noticed something new with my ray. I have a marble motoro Stingray that I've had for about 5 years now. Last Thursday displayed really erratic behavior and started to flip herself.

I've been doing water changes and she seems to be better as far as erratic behavior and ill be still doing more water changes in the coming days. I know my ammonia went high do to my filter having a issue. However she seems to still be doing these flips ever so often.

She's still eating and isn't displaying the erratic swimming anymore, she also was curling herself similar to death curl but she's not doing that anymore.

My question is, is flipping upside down occasionally normal for a ray? From reading this thread I am assuming its somewhat normal. She's never done it so it through me for a loop.

Any info will help,
Thanks everyone.
As per it being normal- that would be ray dependant. Some like playing around and doing stunts like that.

but if what you say about the ammonia spike in the tank is when it started happening, that could be an indicator of possible neurological damage that extreme stress can do to rays.

keep doing your smaller daily wc and make sure you monitor the water parameters. If she is eating that is a good sign. But if she stops eating get yourself some bifuran as a last resort.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
She's never done this till now, However she is eating normally again and acting 100 percent normal. Ill be continuing the Water changes to keep ahead of everything and I've moved over some more bio from another established filter. The biological media must have been thrown out of wack so ill keep a close eye on it, Glad I caught it when I did.

She seems happy and normal, she does the flip occasionally now so either she learned she can do it and now is doing it out of fun or as you said neurological issue. Hopefully the first one is the case but no way to tell I'm sure.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
She's never done this till now, However she is eating normally again and acting 100 percent normal. Ill be continuing the Water changes to keep ahead of everything and I've moved over some more bio from another established filter. The biological media must have been thrown out of wack so ill keep a close eye on it, Glad I caught it when I did.

She seems happy and normal, she does the flip occasionally now so either she learned she can do it and now is doing it out of fun or as you said neurological issue. Hopefully the first one is the case but no way to tell I'm sure.
If she is eating well, just stay the course and keep doing the right stuff and you shouldn’t have too much of an issue.

I had a 4” pup who did some funky death spiral stuff after not eating for a few weeks. It was not an easy challenge but I was able to nurse her back to health. Antibiotics were the cure, which leads me to believe it was some sort of infection that led to the erratic behaviour. I was convinced that she had neurological damage by the way she was so sloppy in hunting and trying to eat food. Some people told me she wouldn’t be very good for breeding.

that was 2 years ago almost to the day. She is now by the books mature enough to breed, but I am going to give her a few months still before trying to put her in with the male. We will soon see how it goes.

Reactions: AncientFishArk
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store