IOS vs OHF filtration

gordoncheers

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2020
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Looking to get a 300 gallon tank soon,deciding between an OHF or IOS filter.
Does anyone know which would be better in terms of
1. Convenience in maintaining the filter
2. Which one is best for better water circulation and filtration

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
And while you're at it...what's an OHF filter?

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
It all depends on your setup. A ohs is usually alot easier to maintain but there are alot of variables....first thing to consider is glass vs acylic...if u have a glass tank big you will need alot of media in the filter so with weight you can not put it directly on top of tank...with big acrylic tanks thought it usually thick enuff tobgold the weight without a stand or shelf of some sort. Also with flow rate involved a sump below the tank puts pressure on the pump so it's easier to direct the intake.....with a ohs the water will gravity feed down with not as much pressure. Biggest difference for me and mu ohs is maintenance..it is alot easier for me to rinse and change media with it on top and also no chance of flooding in a power outage..as long as the filter can hold media it doesn't matter if your tank 300 gallons or a 1000 gallons. Also with a ohs u can get away with less drilling and also if opted less turn over if that's a factor

Reactions: Matteus

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm talking about a overhead sump..this one I made is 8 ft long and filters my 1000 gallon

View attachment 1463062
Nice work. It's a pleasure to see a DIY project like this that is designed to work, rather than just to look pretty with colour-coordinated pipework and perfectly aligned fittings.

A question, if I may? The compartments containing what I assume to be some sort of ceramic blocks or tubes appear to be sealed at the bottom on both sides, with water only entering and exiting at the top. Is this intended to create a low-flow anaerobic chamber for nitrate removal?

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Those are just simple 6 inch ceramic stones usually found in pond supply stores.....no anaerobic action happening here....the filter itself is pushing almost 8000 gallons per hour so it's running fast. Only aerobic in my opinion....I assume my nitrates stay low because I service all the sponges weekly and do about 60 percent wc twice a week....my nitrates average 15 ppm

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store