IOWA need it gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Captain Obvious;2385365; said:
Guess it's just a difference in ethical belief. IMO, seller is on the hook for full disclosure, especially when dealing with fellow hobbyists. That's just how I do business.

First and last dealing with this site.
I think its OBVIOUS CAPTAIN... When he brought the stuff and you still paid him, then who is at fault:ROFL:. You had the chance to PLUG in the light and check out everything before paying the man....:banher:

I have never read one complaint about his fish keeping not yet selling stuff. I have nothing bad at all to say about DB and as far as I know.
I know if I were him, I wouldnt deliver anything else to you.... If I did, I would bring it all broken:irked:.

TBergy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa ISU
So are you guys saying I should just round up all of my broken equipment and list if for sale and if some poor sucker doesn't question if it actually works or not, I should sell it to them? Then its their fault even though I knew full well it didn't work?

SCBARTELS

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2006
Iowa
TBergy;2385444; said:
So are you guys saying I should just round up all of my broken equipment and list if for sale and if some poor sucker doesn't question if it actually works or not, I should sell it to them? Then its their fault even though I knew full well it didn't work?
im not putting anyone at fault.....im just saying when you buy used you have to know exactly what your getting. if all the info is not there you need to ask the ?s yourself.

TBergy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa ISU
SCBARTELS;2385635; said:
im not putting anyone at fault.....im just saying when you buy used you have to know exactly what your getting. if all the info is not there you need to ask the ?s yourself.
Ok, I'd agree with that.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Who here would spend $500 on a used tank without looking at it in person? Seriously?

Who here WOULD buy it then store it for a few weeks then complain about the glass lids not fitting.

Here's the deal. I listed this for stuff for sale on Craig's list and MFK. Had 4 hits within 6 hours of the Craigslist listing. I took the first hit from MFK. I wasn't asked ANY questions whatsoever about the tank. No more pics requested. I cordially invited John to my house to see the tank. He declined. I had offered to deliever it as I needed to pick up my big tank in Des Moines anyways. He wanted to pick it up the following weekend on his way to sell his 135 to a guy in MN. I explained I needed the $ to pay for that tank, and if he wanted to wait that I would keep the listing open. He said he definetly wanted it. In good faith I considered it sold without a penny down. NOT for the $600 I had originally listed it at but $500. This was to include the tank, homemade stand, UG filters (which he declined), glass lids, matching lights, 2 6 month old Stealth 250 watt heaters, and 3 AC 110 filters. This was around the 13th or 14th of October (just guessing). On the 16th we confirmed I would be hauling the tank down on Saturday the 18th. It was agreed upon that he would be meeting us at the house of the guy I bought my big tank from. Plans were then changed as John was unable to obtain a vehicle to haul the tank in and had no help to move it. So then it was to be dropped off at a rental property.

Saturday comes and I load up the 180 and stuff. We take off to head to Des Moines and my truck began leaking tranny fluid outside Ames. It sat there overnight and the tank was delivered the following day after I got a hold of a different truck.

We then delievered the tank to the rental property on October 19th where me and my buddy proceeded to unload the tank for John, until he stepped in since he didn't want the guy I brought lifting one end because he "was too scrawny" John appeared happy after we unloaded it. I was paid in full and we agreed he would just drop by on the way to MN to get the lights the following weekend (the 26th)... as I live less than 1 mile from the interstate he'd be traveling on.

Fast forward to Oct. 29th. I get a PM saying "I didn't get up there this weekend I'll be up on the 8th instead"

Later OCT 29th I get a PM declaring how pissed off he is that the lids are not for a 180 gallon and he had not planned on spending anoth $75 on lids when the tank was advertised as coming with lids.

When I bought the tank it came with NO lids. I payed $400 for JUST the glass. But that is irrelevant. I had always just used 125 gallon lids on the tank. I was never able to find lids for a 180 so I figured 125s would work fine. I used it this way for years. One of the larger sections had broken. In its place I was using a piece of glass that was an inch or 2 bigger than the glass it replaced. I didn't really think this was that big of a deal. But apparently a week and after the purchase this was a big deal to John....

I expalined that he should have came and looked at the used tank before he bought it. Then we quickly replied with "When are you bringing me my lights?" I stated the plans hadn't changed and he should pick them up on the 8th.

I mentioned the lights needed new bulbs. The cheapy grow bulbs I had in them flickered.

Then I was attacked cause I kept the pot scrubbies I had for bio so I could jumpstart my next tank. John was aware of this BEFORE he handed me ANY money for the tank as I told him that at the time of the unloading. I also mentioned IF it was a big deal I'de replace them.....

I was then attacked about my paint job on the back of the tank. The pms had graduated to simple insults at this point.

Now I turn this over to anyone that made it this far into it. The add clearly stated glass lids. NO brand, no condition. I mentioned the stuff had usual wear on it. All this complaining weeks after the transaction.

Who here has bought used stuff before? Who here would make these complaints? I could understand if I sold the tank for hundreds more..... But let's be realistic about what was included in this $500 package.... We all know you're going to spend well over $200 JUST for the filters and heaters. A 180 goes for upwards of $600 around here for GLASS ONLY.....

I just bought a used acrylic 300 for $500. It included a junk stand and absolutly NOTHING else. It ws cracked bigger than snot on the top. Did the guy I bought it from advertise this? NO. Did I still buy it? Yes. Did I go look at it first? YES. Did I complain about the crack after the fact? NO. Am I happy I bought it? YES. I am greatfull the guy sold it to me as a new one is simply out of my price range. Therefore he gave me the oportunity to own something I couldn't have otherwise. I even gained what I consider to be a friend out of the deal.... As I do with 99.9% of the people I buy/sell things with. I love meeting new people in the hobby as we are viewed "strange" by normal people...LOL

Bottom line is...... Used is used. Look before you buy. If you don't like it don't buy it. Assume responsibility. You bought it, No one made you. Accept it or re sell it. When you buy a used tank be prepared to have to spend a little money to get it going. If you don't have any either buy it and wait till you do or don't buy it. That simple.

I have been through lid crap with another guy on this site that bought my 75. He broke a lid and laughed about it. They are glass. It happens.

I am NOT a thief nor do I consider myself to be one with bad business ethics. I have sold to numerous people here and bought even more. Even GIVEN fish away. I have never had a problem till now..... Andf frankly I'm livid about it. I turned down a lot of people that would have been greatfull and happy about purchasing this tank that I had over 1K invested in when it was at my house. But instead I turned them away so I could have the pleasure of dealing with a fellow MFKer and look what I get.

Mods PLEASE do NOT close this as we are trying to reach common ground where both parties are happy, and I would like to hear other's input as to how they would handle it.

To those who have dealt with me and feel satisfied Thank you. I appreciate it. After all what kind of hobby is this if you take away the great people that make it what it is. I definetly enjoy meeting people with common interests and spending alittle more $ on stuff than completely raping someone and making an enemy in the process.....

Captain Obvious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
Iowa
West1;2385429; said:
I think its OBVIOUS CAPTAIN... When he brought the stuff and you still paid him, then who is at fault:ROFL:. You had the chance to PLUG in the light and check out everything before paying the man....:banher:
I paid him on the ASS-umption things were as advertised. In hindsight I should have held back some $ until lights were in hand but was trying to be the nice guy.

He "forgot" the lights in someone else's car which was no big deal, as he explained I could swing by and grab them another time. Nowhere in the ad did it mention them not working, this was later explained via PM AFTER he had the $ and was back home when he told me they needed a starter or something else.

SCBARTELS;2385635; said:

If you see someone advertising this tank/stand/lids/lights/filters as a complete setup, would you ask if the lights work and lids match the tank? 99% of people would figure that they do.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
Who here would spend $500 on a used tank without looking at it in person? Seriously?
I did. I figure folks will be as straight up and honest about things as I am when I sell things.
I offered to come by and check it out on my way through, you refused saying you need the $ asap and would be able to deliver it on xx date.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
Who here WOULD buy it then store it for a few weeks then complain about the glass lids not fitting.
Sorry Al, I'm just a busy guy and have very little spare time I didn't try to put the lids on the tank until it was set up in it's corner with water in it.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
Here's the deal. I listed this for stuff for sale on Craig's list and MFK. Had 4 hits within 6 hours of the Craigslist listing. I took the first hit from MFK. I wasn't asked ANY questions whatsoever about the tank. No more pics requested.
If you had so much interest on CL why were you publicly asking for offers on this site?

DB junkie;2386263; said:
I cordially invited John to my house to see the tank. He declined. I had offered to deliever it as I needed to pick up my big tank in Des Moines anyways. He wanted to pick it up the following weekend on his way to sell his 135 to a guy in MN. I explained I needed the $ to pay for that tank, and if he wanted to wait that I would keep the listing open. He said he definetly wanted it. In good faith I considered it sold without a penny down. NOT for the $600 I had originally listed it at but $500. This was to include the tank, homemade stand, UG filters (which he declined), glass lids, matching lights, 2 6 month old Stealth 250 watt heaters, and 3 AC 110 filters. This was around the 13th or 14th of October (just guessing).
You had it all over your post to present offers so I did. Nobody made you accept it.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
On the 16th we confirmed I would be hauling the tank down on Saturday the 18th. It was agreed upon that he would be meeting us at the house of the guy I bought my big tank from. Plans were then changed as John was unable to obtain a vehicle to haul the tank in and had no help to move it. So then it was to be dropped off at a rental property.
So lets see, you are supposed to be here Saturday, noon. You call at 4pm Saturday to say you had car trouble and will be down first thing Sunday. You then proceed to arrive 4pm Sunday and piss and moan that my situation has changed?
Get your act together and be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there.
DB junkie;2386263; said:
Saturday comes and I load up the 180 and stuff. We take off to head to Des Moines and my truck began leaking tranny fluid outside Ames. It sat there overnight and the tank was delivered the following day after I got a hold of a different truck.

We then delievered the tank to the rental property on October 19th where me and my buddy proceeded to unload the tank for John, until he stepped in since he didn't want the guy I brought lifting one end because he "was too scrawny"
I had no problem with your friend helping, but figured he was just volunteer help, I should do as much as possible before asking him to kick in.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
John appeared happy after we unloaded it. I was paid in full and we agreed he would just drop by on the way to MN to get the lights the following weekend (the 26th)... as I live less than 1 mile from the interstate he'd be traveling on.

Fast forward to Oct. 29th. I get a PM saying "I didn't get up there this weekend I'll be up on the 8th instead"

Later OCT 29th I get a PM declaring how pissed off he is that the lids are not for a 180 gallon and he had not planned on spending anoth $75 on lids when the tank was advertised as coming with lids.
I simply said I was NOT happy that the lids did not fit the tank. It was something that IMO should have been disclosed in the original f/s post.
You immediately became defensive.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
When I bought the tank it came with NO lids. I payed $400 for JUST the glass. But that is irrelevant. I had always just used 125 gallon lids on the tank. I was never able to find lids for a 180 so I figured 125s would work fine. I used it this way for years. One of the larger sections had broken. In its place I was using a piece of glass that was an inch or 2 bigger than the glass it replaced. I didn't really think this was that big of a deal. But apparently a week and after the purchase this was a big deal to John....
No, Al, it wasn't really a big deal. It was more of an issue that you failed to disclose this matter in your f/s post.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
I expalined that he should have came and looked at the used tank before he bought it. Then we quickly replied with "When are you bringing me my lights?" I stated the plans hadn't changed and he should pick them up on the 8th.
My plans have completely changed and I will not be going to the cities anytime in the near future.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
I mentioned the lights needed new bulbs. The cheapy grow bulbs I had in them flickered.
You told me via PM that one light definitely needed a new bulb and the other light would need a new starter and possibly a new bulb. Hence they are not functional.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
Then I was attacked cause I kept the pot scrubbies I had for bio so I could jumpstart my next tank. John was aware of this BEFORE he handed me ANY money for the tank as I told him that at the time of the unloading. I also mentioned IF it was a big deal I'de replace them.....
Culmination of shortcomings on your part were really starting to agitate me at this point.

First you're 30 hours late showing up after minimal communication.

Then you forget the lights.

Then the lids don't match.

Plus the filters aren't complete.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
I was then attacked about my paint job on the back of the tank. The pms had graduated to simple insults at this point.
No, Al. Re-read the pm. I stated I was NOT complaining about the paint job and that it was no big deal as paint comes off easily.
Were I unreasonable I would have pitched a fit about you painting all of the trim on the back black. I didn't because IT IS NO BIG DEAL.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
Bottom line is...... Used is used. Look before you buy. If you don't like it don't buy it. Assume responsibility. You bought it, No one made you. Accept it or re sell it. When you buy a used tank be prepared to have to spend a little money to get it going. If you don't have any either buy it and wait till you do or don't buy it. That simple.
At this point the tank will sold and replaced with an Oceanic 175 bow.
I don't think it's an inability to make the setup what it shoudl have been upon delivery that have me upset with the deal.
It's your lack of follow through accompanied with your inability to be organized.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
I am NOT a thief nor do I consider myself to be one with bad business ethics. I have sold to numerous people here and bought even more. Even GIVEN fish away. I have never had a problem till now..... Andf frankly I'm livid about it.
I can tell you're livid about it...to the point you do nothing.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
I turned down a lot of people that would have been greatfull and happy about purchasing this tank that I had over 1K invested in when it was at my house. But instead I turned them away so I could have the pleasure of dealing with a fellow MFKer and look what I get.
Nobody made you accept the offer. That simple.

DB junkie;2386263; said:
Mods PLEASE do NOT close this as we are trying to reach common ground where both parties are happy, and I would like to hear other's input as to how they would handle it.

Common ground?

I fail to see any kind of reaching for common ground in any of your posts or PM's. At this point I just want what was to be included in the sale or credit back for the cost to replace it.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Captain Obvious;2390368; said:
I paid him on the ASS-umption things were as advertised. In hindsight I should have held back some $ until lights were in hand but was trying to be the nice guy.

He "forgot" the lights in someone else's car which was no big deal, as he explained I could swing by and grab them another time. Nowhere in the ad did it mention them not working, this was later explained via PM AFTER he had the $ and was back home when he told me they needed a starter or something else.

I fail to see any kind of reaching for common ground in any of your posts or PM's. At this point I just want what was to be included in the sale or credit back for the cost to replace it.
Dude, he gave you a deal on top of a deal. With the money you put in your pocket, go buy a light instead of crying. DAMN!!
Thats one thing I cant stand about people... its always im the victim but when you talk someone down then you want the full deal at the price i talked you down too:screwy:.

Shoot let me ship you a fish at a lower price and what the heck Ill still have a live arrival guarantee... :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Its sad cause I bet your ganna leave this site all pissed off:cry: and say your not coming back when your only shooting yourself in the foot TWICE. There is so much to learn on this site and so many people that help and back you here. MFK is a diff world and has a lot of Hard Core Hobbyiest here.
Im not taking DBs side cause I chat with him here and there. Im taking his side based on the info given.... Im done. Hope you to can come to an understanding and "LIVE AND LEARN" (Thats the TIP of the day)

Also if you dont like people jumping into the mix, send it to PMs

Lates Cap'n!

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Captain Obvious;2390368; said:
If you had so much interest on CL why were you publicly asking for offers on this site?

One more thing.....

I speak for myself (I have seen other do so also....)

I (MFK that does so too) try to keep close and give deals to fellow MFKers. I myself have posted things on other sites (cgst, recycler, even other fish forums (I know, I know sorry:D)) but always give the best deals to MFK cause others do the same. So not talking for DB but I think thats why and if not then it answers your Q about others:D

If you look around on other forums, you dont see as many active users and it takes forever to get responces (Most of the time), that says a lot about MFK and the knowledge here

Lates X2!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store