Iridescent Shark Help

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with Tobiassorensen Tobiassorensen the Iridescent Shark may have swam at top speed into the aquarium. Probably injured itself internally.

Jaxson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
The ray still has all of its skin around the barb. The ray is between 6 and 8 inches in diameter, so it's still decently small. He's only about 6 months old or less. I've only had him since the end of june

Jaxson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
Is there anything I can do to prevent the other shark from doing the same? If it was him randomly ramming into the glass

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Is there anything I can do to prevent the other shark from doing the same? If it was him randomly ramming into the glass
Get him a larger tank or send him to rich and josh at ofr if you live close.

Jaxson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
The other shark is about 11 or 12 inches. The tank is still too small for him currently? I had spoken to ofr when I first got it, and they said it should be fine for a few years in my tank

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think if it smashed into a wall, the snout would show it, it'd be bloodied and freshly bruised.

As you said these were grown out by someone else. Who knows what they have gone through. If the snout was intact as you say it was and there was no illness (not latent), so chalk it up to a sudden death syndrome and move on, no use in guessing. If there was no obvious and acute illness, on paper nothing threatens your other IDS. Perhaps their prior life was traumatic or involved poor husbandry, or they are the runts of runts, who usually don't live long, etc.

Jaxson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
Thank you, the other shark I have had always seemed much healthier. I was just worried it was something that I had done,or an illness that could spread. My only concern now is if the other shark would be fine to remain in the tank until spring, when I can build a pond for it

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Now yours are what we call in Russian "dark horses" that is with an unknown baggage / history.

Our hobby can be a gamble and most often is. Just wing it bro the best you can, I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store