Is 96x30x30 big enough for a Tigrinus cat long term?

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I am looking to revamp my big tank and was wondering if I could fit a Tig cats in the mix? I am thinking of a bare bottom no decoration style with a few big fish like maybe a RTGG, wild oscar, polypterus, clown knife, silver dollar school. Something along those lines give or take still reading up on all of them. The tank is run with 3 FX5s. Is that enough filtration and space for a big cat and friends? TIA

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
IMO I would suggest that that size is on the limit of what a tig should end up in but should be ok. As for the gg and knife, the tank will all come down to the character of the fish. If you get two placid characters it should be fine. If you get a bugger of a gg it will be havoc and if you get a bugger of a knife you could potentially lose your Oscar’s or dollars. You will however only know as they grow!
Filtration should be good.
I would however suggest that both the tig and the knife are going to want some form of wood or cover to hide under, maybe a statement piece or two.

Last edited:

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
Thats what I gather about the GG and knife, and I thought it might be big enough for a tig cat but I have never kept any of these species before so I wanted to ask. Thanks!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with Fishman Dave.

I'd add it will take a long time for a tig to break 2ft, perhaps 5-10 years. At 2.5ft it may be a bit uncomfortable in a 2.5ft wide and 2.5ft tall tank, especially if bothered by the tank mates.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I think I am going to go with one in the mix. Do y’all have any recs on where to pick up nice specimens? I have looked at predatory fins but I haven’t looked for fish online in a while so not sure who else these days.

Growth rate seems to be pretty quick up to a good size…would starting with a baby tig, Oscar, and rtgg all grow at a compatible rate? If I wanted a endlicheri should I start with more medium sized so it doesn’t end up looking like an earthworm lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store