Is a 96x24x18 tank wasted on Tanganyikans?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No tropheus. They really need a tank of their own. Too much meat food going in this tank for tropheus to be healthy.
I agree regarding trophs needing their own tank, but not due to dietary reasons.

I find Tropheus can do well with most high grade cichlid pellet like NLS or dainichi...think I fed mine a lot of spirulina flake too... I think stable diet is actually more important..
Agreed, I raised my trophs on 100% NLS, as did a local Tang breeder who had several colonies, all wild caught fish. This was all many years prior to New Life releasing their AlgaeMax formula.

Behavioural wise Tropheus do not do well as community fish, but I certainly wouldn't rule out any species from Lake Tanganyika due to dietary issues. Good luck with your new set up!

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I agree regarding trophs needing their own tank, but not due to dietary reasons.

Agreed, I raised my trophs on 100% NLS, as did a local Tang breeder who had several colonies, all wild caught fish. This was all many years prior to New Life releasing their AlgaeMax formula.

Behavioural wise Tropheus do not do well as community fish, but I certainly wouldn't rule out any species from Lake Tanganyika due to dietary issues. Good luck with your new set up!
Ive never had trophs. Mostly from the things ive heard and read about dietary needs. Thats not a bad thing in and of itself but mixing them with carnivores had me worried . Ive heard bad things when they eat alot of meat (bloat), and on a fish that you say the word it happens I didnt want to tempt fate. But now that you have cleared that up some......they still wont be in this tank. For other reasons as well. Ive heard they are extremely aggressive more so then the mbuna ive kept in the past even.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I posted the following several years ago, and it was later made into a sticky. Well worth the read if you keep any of the Rift Lake cichlids.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I posted the following several years ago, and it was later made into a sticky. Well worth the read if you keep any of the Rift Lake cichlids.

Thanks. I dont need to read the 200+ page on bloat because you explained it well. I will probably go back and read it at some point though just to gain futher insite. Never had too many losses of mbuna and that was back when I was in my early teens. Never knew mbuna were prone to bloat. I guess that goes to show keep the fish happy and there fore healthy and it'll work out. Or at least it helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store