Is a growout tank necessary if I just keep one fish?

pokebird

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2019
Let's say I want to have one dovii cichlid, I buy it at a juvenile stage and put it into a 500g tank with no other fish in it and let the dovii grow to its adult size in this 500g, or do I must put it in a smaller tank to let it growout first?

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I am an advocate of having the larger tank so that way way you don't get a 16 inch fish in a 75 gallon tank because something came up and you couldn't get the 500. What I would do is get a 75 and have the 500 and use the 75 as a sump when the fish hits the 10-12 inch mark.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The way I see it is like asking if you need a quarantine tank if you're only going to keep 1 fish, it's not necessary but it won't hurt to do so. I've had 3 inch bichirs growing out in a 29 then a 55 then staying in a 75 and I've had other 3 inch bichirs that went directly into the 75 gallon. Each bichir is doing fine.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I think people have grow out tanks because putting tiny fish straight into huge tanks, especially a single fish as you are planning, will mean your huge tank will just look so empty for such a long time before the fish eventually matures. Nothing wrong with doing it that way, in fact some would say that is better than keep moving it on from grow out tank to grow out tank until it eventually reaches a size where it can be transferred into its final home.

But occasionally unforseen circumstances can arise in life and the end plans for a huge tank for your growing out fish might not materialise, leaving you with a brute of a fish in a smaller tank than you had planned.

So the fact that you already have your 500g is good, it will just be a fair while before that little brute looks the part in such a big tank.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
In the circumstances described I would say the only benefit to having a smaller tank would be if you need to medicate for some reason.
It would be way more cost effective to medicate a 75 than a 500.
If you do put a Dovii in a 500 to grow I would expect he’s going to have an increase growth rate the extra space and lack of waste build up and lower nitrate levels should make the lil dude grow pretty quickly.

Reactions: Raka

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Depends on which fish you are raising as well. I find pbass very skittish when put directly into a large tank. Gars often injure themselves and require step ups in sizes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many times when buying juvies, things like curved spinses or other deformities may not become obviously apparent until the fish is somewhat older.
Even if a breeder is good about culling, that breeder may not see certain things right away either in a spawn of 100 or more.
So one thing you may want consider, is whether of not buying one fish is is going to be the one you really want.
The last time I bought a bag of 10 juvie dovii at an auction, two were not worth keeping (one showed deformed gill plates, one a curved spine as they grew), I ended up culling those two, and the group culled itself down a bit more as time went aong.
I see nothing wrong with starting in a large tank, but I like to have pairs that spawn, so perpetuating any deformities that may become apparent with age, would not be something I consider good genes to pass along.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
One more thing to consider (though I’ve never personally had that large of a tank and don’t know if it’s an actual concern) a small single juvie fish in such a large tank might have a Difficulty finding food or maybe expel too much energy trying to swim and find food.

Having a small tank would ensure the juvie is feeding well, or if in a larger tank putting others of its own kind with it might make it more brave to go seek food/learn from others how to find food.

Reactions: pokebird

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
If you can do the 500 now I would go ahead and do it now. As someone said already though, do the 75 now also and use it to get the fish food trained and make sure no meds are needed. Once its food trained it will come to you for food. You wont need to worry about dropping unnecessary food in the tank if the fish doesn't find it. And if you just run the 75 on sponge filters it'll be a minor cost compared to the big tank. And you'll always have it as a back up down the road, or for use as a hospital tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store