Is an aurantimaculata right for me?

Diggitydingadong3692

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
My water is about 27celcius can get down to 22degrees (celcius) in the monsoon season.I got a 120cm * 45cm * 45cm tank for my birthday and i've always wanted a mid- large channa ,uptill now the biggest i could provide for were gachua.Would my tank be too small for a solo auranti?It will be planted.Tia

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My water is about 27celcius can get down to 22degrees (celcius) in the monsoon season.I got a 120cm * 45cm * 45cm tank for my birthday and i've always wanted a mid- large channa ,uptill now the biggest i could provide for were gachua.Would my tank be too small for a solo auranti?It will be planted.Tia
Welcome aboard
headbanger_jib headbanger_jib

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Welcome aboard
headbanger_jib headbanger_jib
The only issue I see here is the width, but swamp channa such as an aurantimaculata are very flexible and would easily be able to negotiate around.

Channa aurantimaculata get to around 19" or so.
For a single aurantimaculata it might be a bit small but not too bad.

Do also look into channa stewarti complex, some really niice species are there, and many are available now.

Reactions: tlindsey

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
How big did your last auranti get headbanger_jib headbanger_jib and how much time did it take to get there?Did you have any problems with the temperature in South India?My temps are pretty similar on some days in the summer.Going back and forth on the auranti because of size and temp,shipments have come to a halt here anyway:(

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
How big did your last auranti get headbanger_jib headbanger_jib and how much time did it take to get there?Did you have any problems with the temperature in South India?My temps are pretty similar on some days in the summer.Going back and forth on the auranti because of size and temp,shipments have come to a halt here anyway:(
17.5" iirc.

Reactions: Krismo962

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I currently keep one in a 120cm long and the tank is only around 30 cm wide and tall from memory.
One single cobra in there with a few large barbs and he is living happily.
I would guess the cobra to be around 30 cm long but you don't notice him struggle to turn in the tank, he seems very happy.
Had him around a year now and he has grown a good 4" in that time.
I keep temp constant at around 26c

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Where are you from? My temps are pretty similar and my tank is 125cm x 50 cm x 45cm(remeasured it).What did you decide on? I went with a red devil(atleast for now ;) ).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store