Is it bad if I let algae (green) built up on the back of my tank?

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
It is ... challenging, to clean the back of my tank due to its positioning. I'm getting a fair amount of green algae build-up on it - my blasted Algae Eater and Pleco don't seem to do a thing, and even the snails don't do much about it. I do regular water changes and use Prime as needed. How bad is "too bad"?

Thanks!

Reactions: tlindsey

Snakeheadred

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2020
Giggleinton
It is ... challenging, to clean the back of my tank due to its positioning. I'm getting a fair amount of green algae build-up on it - my blasted Algae Eater and Pleco don't seem to do a thing, and even the snails don't do much about it. I do regular water changes and use Prime as needed. How bad is "too bad"?

Thanks!
Git your self an aqua scapin kit there tools in there like tweezers cutters an there tool with long handle an it's got little blade on there soon git ride off it

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
There is nothing wrong with letting the algae build on the glass. It will use nitrates as it grows. Small critters will use it for food and your fish if small enough will eat those critters. The problem comes if you don't like the look of it, and that's really the only issue.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Algae does not pose any harm to your fish, but could be signs of too much light, over feeding, etc so you should keep an eye on it. Itself is just a plant so it will take in co2 and create oxygen which is beneficial to tank. You can use a razor blade or credit card to easily remove it; but if everything is in balance it shouldn’t pose any harms ?

Snakeheadred

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2020
Giggleinton
Algae does not pose any harm to your fish, but could be signs of too much light, over feeding, etc so you should keep an eye on it. Itself is just a plant so it will take in co2 and create oxygen which is beneficial to tank. You can use a razor blade or credit card to easily remove it; but if everything is in balance it shouldn’t pose any harms ?
Ye it won't do much harm an ye it might be singe of to much light but ye razor or credit card will take it straight off

Reactions: Rayfishowner

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Algae is part of any natural habitat, and in aquariums helps use some nitrate.
I allow algae to grow on all surfaces except the from glass, I encourage it.
And find it is a great add in fry tanks as grazing.

The video below show's a good example of how much algae is normal in nature.
Azul imovie edit

Last edited:

Snakeheadred

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2020
Giggleinton
Algae is part of any natural habitat, and in aquariums helps use some narrate.
I allow algae to grow on all surfaces except the from glass, I encourage it.
And find it is a great add in fry tanks as grazing.

The video below show's a good example of how much algae is normal in nature.
Azul imovie edit
Nice picture and I'm with u on that it does add to the being that much more natural I mean in the wild the fish don't have any body cleaning it up so deffo with u on that

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One caveat about algae....
There is good algae and there is bad...
Cyanobacteria is sometimes referred to as bluegreen-algae but is not, and " not" the good kind of algae anyway.
It feels slimy to the touch and will rub off in sheets.
Good algae (there are thousands of species) has a more gritty feel, and often clings tightly to surfaces
When doing my microbiology studies, I had an entire textbook dedicated to the algae of the American great lakes alone.
Here is a shot of Cyanobacteria on a submerged log.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store