Is it worth it to get a Seachem Tidal power filter?

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
QUOTE="krichardson, post: 8126759, member: 11066"]
I was looking to purchase a new hob the past weekend and I might have gotten a Tidal but no stores here seem to carry them.I picked up a Marineland instead due to the price that I could not pass up.
[/QUOTE]

I own a dozen of Marineland Penguins and several of them are 30 years old and still operating. I am very happy with them and do not want any other HOBs. Buy their refillable media basket and cut your own filter pads to save money.

As previously stated, if one is going to pack their tank with fish and plants to the point that they have to be cleaned twice a week, probably best to set up a good sized sump, and forget about HOB filters. Or cut down on stock.
I don’t mind cleaning my Penguin filter twice a week, which is equivalent to cleaning prefilter. It only takes a minute to slide the cartridge out and replace with new one. So it’s quicker and less messy than cleaning prefilter. Its like changing fish diapers for 5c each since I cut my own. Changing often is good for water quality, and eliminate the cascading noice of water falling over the spillway.

Sump systems have their issues. They can be noisy, evaporate fast, and flood vulnerable unless it is a hard plumb type. I can’t have a sump system in my living area. Read this.

Sump return hose popped off
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/living-room-sump-flood.310166/#post-3913745

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Every single last piece of equipment used in this hobby has its pros, and its cons.

Reactions: Jexnell

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I own a dozen of Marineland Penguins and several of them are 30 years old and still operating. I am very happy with them and do not want any other HOBs. Buy their refillable media basket and cut your own filter pads to save money.
I like that surface skimming feature but I have used either a Marineland or an Aquaclear power filter for my smaller tanks since switching from the Whispers years ago.I haven't had any of them for quite that long though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store