Is over filtering an aquarium technically possible?

gordoncheers

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2020
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Hey i'm looking to get a fibre glass pond for my patio,it's around 290-300 gallon i'm actually looking to get one of those all in one pond filters instead of a sump system the problem is the filter that i want to use is meant to be used for ponds around 900-1000 gallons,any advice on this?
Is it possible that I can have too much filtration and some how mess up the pond?

Charlied81

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2021
Pa
Hey i'm looking to get a fibre glass pond for my patio,it's around 290-300 gallon i'm actually looking to get one of those all in one pond filters instead of a sump system the problem is the filter that i want to use is meant to be used for ponds around 900-1000 gallons,any advice on this?
Is it possible that I can have too much filtration and some how mess up the pond?
Depending what your putting in there you will need to turn over the water around 5x or more. I would recommend always going over what a pump says it's capable of. It won't be to big to answer your question.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What do you plan on keeping in the pond?
This may determine what type flow is needed, and this also includes plants.
Water lilies prefer low flow situations. Some other plants prefer high flow.
Java fern is often found in association with waterfalls..
Some fish like low flow, some high flow.

And flow can be mediated using spreading out a high filtration/high flow situation by using waterfalls, fountains, and the like.
For a small 500 gal koi and goldfish pond I had, I used a pump rated at about 1200 gph (it was under stocked, with only 2 koi and a few goldfish.
Yet on my current 180 gal outdoor cichlid tank I use a pump rated at 1500 gph, but spread out the flow across the tank using a manifold.
Flow

Reactions: Bbuckley

gordoncheers

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2020
Singapore
www.instagram.com
What do you plan on keeping in the pond?
This may determine what type flow is needed, and this also includes plants.
Water lilies prefer low flow situations. Some other plants prefer high flow.
Java fern is often found in association with waterfalls..
Some fish like low flow, some high flow.

And flow can be mediated using spreading out a high filtration/high flow situation by using waterfalls, fountains, and the like.
For a small 500 gal koi and goldfish pond I had, I used a pump rated at about 1200 gph (it was under stocked, with only 2 koi and a few goldfish.
Yet on my current 180 gal outdoor cichlid tank I use a pump rated at 1500 gph, but spread out the flow across the tank using a manifold.
Flow
Hi sorry for the late reply,i'm planning to put some pbs and oscars inside.
No plants just some driftwood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store