Is The Area Underneath The Bridge Public Or Private.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I was just wondering if the area underneath public bridges is owned by the state, and available to the public, or if it is the property of the landowner. If it is open to the public, I assume that it is legal to fish there, assuming that the body of water is not privately owned, of course.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I was just wondering if the area underneath public bridges is owned by the state, and available to the public, or if it is the property of the landowner. If it is open to the public, I assume that it is legal to fish there, assuming that the body of water is not privately owned, of course.
Where? Here i believe all waterways and lakes are public.

Presumably that's not the case for small ponds though .

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Where? Here i believe all waterways and lakes are public.

Presumably that's not the case for small ponds though .
Not all lakes are public. Most rivers and creeks are, however, if you are fishing from the shore, the shore usually belongs to the landowner, making fishing from the bank tresspassing. Sometimes even the bottom of the stream is private, so wading is also tresspassing. Being in a boat is usually safe.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
I'd check with your state's Fish and Wildlife / Games and Parks Dept website. Send em an email if you can't find it clearly on the site.

Other option would be to err on the side of caution and ask the land owner, that way you don't risks fines, trespassing charges and fishing licenses revocation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store