Is there a shelf life on tanks?

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Hope this is in the correct topics area.
I think the longest I have owned a single tank is about 12 years. Is there an acceptable life for a typical glass aquarium?
I know the 150 I have now is older and I do worry about leaks or even worse a burst seam. So is there a general age at which a tank should be changed out?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Its not that ranks have a shelf life. But they do need revamping eventually. Once seals leak or start looking bad the tank can be resealed. Not too bad of a project.
As far as I know glass can’t be repolished like acrylic can. So eventually a tank that isn’t properly cleaned and cared for will get so scratched up and “foggy” looking that it would need replacing if used for a display tank. But tanks can be repurposed too. Used as sumps, grow outs for snails, shrimp, fish, anything used for food and not kept as a pet. In this case they don’t need to be pretty at all.

I don’t think any time frame can be set on when a tank will need resealing. But if the seals look bad I’d say it’s time to plan on a reseal. Watch some videos, pick up supplies, have a kiddy pool or suitable size container to hold the fish in and get to work:)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have seen tanks 30+ yrs old, still holding water, and fish, with the original silicone seal. I'm guessing there are tanks still operating that are 40 yrs old or better. It all depends on how well the tank was made, and how well it has been taken care of. Under optimum conditions a quality glass tank can and should easily last at least a couple of decades.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Glass tanks can be polished but it’s nowhere near as easy as acrylic. And silicon goes bad much faster if you store the tank without water in it. The hot to cold fluctuations dry that silicon right out. All the more reason to keep tanks stocked and running at all times!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store