Is there a way to train my florida spotted gar from getting startled everytime I go near the pond?

uprisingjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
He is just 6" and he's loving staying at my pond exclusive for him. But when he's chillin above water everytime I go near to put some feeder fish or tend to the aquatic plants he gets startled and I'm worried if he hurts himself by doing that(broken back).

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
For all your gar knows you could be a heron coming to eat him. That's why he gets startled. This basic reaction to potential danger is hard wired into them through evolution.

How many of us have to be careful going near the tank in case our prized fish goes nuts and beats himself up. A lot of the thinking behind bare tanks is that fish have nothing to injure themselves on when they occasionally freak out. Some fish are worse than others. I have tinfoils, balas, cigar sharks and a chalceus which are all very skittish.

And on the other hand, some fish are as docile and placid as little puppies. I doubt very much you could train a very skittish fish into being a little puppy.

uprisingjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
I see. Because
For all your gar knows you could be a heron coming to eat him. That's why he gets startled. This basic reaction to potential danger is hard wired into them through evolution.

How many of us have to be careful going near the tank in case our prized fish goes nuts and beats himself up. A lot of the thinking behind bare tanks is that fish have nothing to injure themselves on when they occasionally freak out. Some fish are worse than others. I have tinfoils, balas, cigar sharks and a chalceus which are all very skittish.

And on the other hand, some fish are as docile and placid as little puppies. I doubt very much you could train a very skittish fish into being a little puppy.
I see I hope he gets used to it. He's in a pond and only freaks out when he is chillin and floating like a log. I also watched a video where he hand feeds his florida gar and a dude petting his alligator gar.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I see. Because

I see I hope he gets used to it. He's in a pond and only freaks out when he is chillin and floating like a log. I also watched a video where he hand feeds his florida gar and a dude petting his alligator gar.
I suppose a lot of it comes down to age of the fish too. Yours is a baby so not so worldly wise yet. A fish basking on the surface is in real danger in the wild from fish eagles or ospreys so when he sees you approaching the pond he thinks he's going to be dinner!

Other things to help fish to be less skittish are tank size, planted cover and tank mates.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
In time he should calm down some, when he gets more accustomed to you his new home, and especially when he equates you to food.
When I first got my Sagittae, they hide when ever i moved. Now the keeper of the group is a glass banger demanding attention.

uprisingjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
Thank you guys for the necessary information. Maybe when he gets bigger and older he will calm down. He is not kept in a tank tho but he is happy in his pond.20190604_171413.jpg

Reactions: Jexnell

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Put some floating vegetation in there, fake or real. That should help him feel more secured from the surface. My gar used to love hanging out in these fake silk plants that I would float on the top.

Reactions: uprisingjohn

uprisingjohn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2019
Put some floating vegetation in there, fake or real. That should help him feel more secured from the surface. My gar used to love hanging out in these fake silk plants that I would float on the top.
Yes I'm waiting for the hornworth to flourish and spread to the surface of my pond.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
He should get better as he gets older....mine is 14-15"

Mine don't care if I am around anymore... so I get to caress him almost as and when I like it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store