Is this a pure bred Texas cichlid?

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
Bought this guy at my lfs listed as Texas cichlid. Looking at pictures online they don't seem to match up. He is about six months old atm and is definetley a male as he paired up with my female convict and mated.

IMG_20190612_222354_472.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although it may be "pure bred", it doesn't look it to me, and if your LFS didn't get it from a respected cichlid breeder that actually maintains a separation of stock, or imports from specific location sources it probably isn't a pure Herichthys cyanoguttatus.
And there may may not be an easy way to tell without DNA sequencing, photos are really not sure things.
Besides that, there are at least 3 species of Herichthys that are sold under the moniker Texas cichlid, and 2 of them aren't.
Here is Herichthys carpintus (sometimes called a green Texas)

and below
Herichthys tamasopoensus, also sometimes labeled a Texas cichlid.

Neither of the above come from Texas

Zcddrew

Candiru
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Canada
You definitely have a “Texas” cichlid hybrid. A wild guess is an unfaded SRTH but it really could be anything. Definitely not a “pure bred” fish though.
Well I'm fine with that. I actually quite like his colouration. If I might ask what is an srth?

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Well I'm fine with that. I actually quite like his colouration. If I might ask what is an srth?
Super red Texas hybrid. Meaning a red Texas Texas bred to Vieja or Golden base flowerhorn. Could be anything though.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Nice looking fish. The shape is like a Herichthys, but the colors def suggest some flowerhorn in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store