Is this HITH on this rainbowfish

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
They seem to be eating now. They ate all the repashy today. The one lost a lot of scales in that area where scales were raised.MVIMG_20200820_213517.jpg

Is that just the scales missing it is that infected now? Thanks.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They seem to be eating now. They ate all the repashy today. The one lost a lot of scales in that area where scales were raised.View attachment 1429602

Is that just the scales missing it is that infected now? Thanks.
Looks like it’s just missing.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Good news that is seems to be getting better.
If it were me, I would complete the treatment round as suggested. The last you want is something coming back and being resistant.
Good luck!

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Looks like it’s just missing.
Thanks for the feedback. It makes me worry less. I'm still on a every two day water change on this tank. Today I only drained about 50-55% because I noticed when I drained around 75% or so, the fish started getting agitated. I figured it's better to not stress them out more.

The salt is at around 6 tablespoons for the 10g. I'm just gonna hold it at that level for awhile and see if things improve.

The missing scale area looks the same so I guess that's good. Their color is actually a nice bright red.

They seem to be less stressed as initially they'd freak out anytime I'd open the tank lid to leave food. They also spend all the time as far to the bottom as possible. I notice them usually all levels of the tank. They for sure eat the repashy so I can at least keep feeding that. I think they eat some pellets but I also find some uneaten pellets.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Not sure if they are eating hex shield pellets:

Been trying to feed hex shield. I'm not even sure if they eat any. First day (yesterday I put a few pellets in twice a day. Directions say fees twice a day for three days). I didn't want to put too much bc I wasn't gonna water change until today.

There were pellets at the bottom. Again not sure if they ate any.

Today I out more in and even soaked some in this liquid garlic extract that I have, and have used on repashy for the main tank. I put extra food in since I knew I was gonna water change and get it out. They don't seem to like pellets that sink to the bottom so I figured more might mean they might have more time to eat the ones that stay floating.

I guess I'll try again for third day tomorrow as instructions say and then go back to feeding repashy.

I was hesitant to start the feeding since no idea if they are eating it.

Salt is at 6 tablespoons for the ten gallon. I'll hold there for awhile.

The fish look the same so there's no further scale damage but also no change in the white discolored areas.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
It looks like they ate yesterday and today as there are literally only like 4 pellets uneaten at the bottom and I fed more than 4 pellets.

My plan is to continue feeding the hex shield Saturday. Thursday, Friday and Saturday will be three days. As I reported Wednesday, it didn't look like they were eating the food earlier. I guess they got hungry.

Reactions: kno4te

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Update:
I just took this pics during a water change.

The area where the one lost scales seems better. These white or pale spot areas seem the same. Right now salt is at one tablespoon per gallon which seemed to be maximum recommended by the Cory stream. I change 25% to 70% of the water every 2-4 days and dose salt for water removed. (25-50% if it's a 2-3 day gap between changes, 70% when I tried 4 days,).

Aquarium Coop stream suggested that salt can take a long time to work. I figure I at least have to keep this up until missing scales are completely healed. I'm not sure what to do about spots if they are still there in the future.

Missing scale and more spots fish:
PXL_20200914_002551592.MP.jpg
Fish 2 that has one spot area and has had non normal looking mouth:
PXL_20200914_002529815.MP.jpg
Better look at missing scale fish. I think area looks improved from a few weeks ago?

PXL_20200914_002234695.MP.jpg

Fish 2. Mouth looks more normal here in my opinion. Can see the one spot area on this fish.
Screenshot_20200913-195823.png

Thanks for any comments you may have.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Update:
I never did figure out what was up with these two. I started to be convinced that maybe the marks were just damage from running into stuff before.

I had decided to slowly reduce salt levels (they were at 1 tbsp per gallon for months).

Two days ago, one of them looked paler and it seemed sluggish. Today it was dead when I woke up. I don't know if he died of stress from the salt, or from being dominated by the other Dority with him or maybe he was sick this whole time.

The one that died was the one with more noticeable marks. The surviving one just had one mark.

I guess my plan is to just slowly reduce the salt by water changes and then just see how he looks when I have zero salt in. I know he's getting stressed now being alone in the tank.

Im debating if I should out him with the 6 praecox in the other 10g if both tanks seem fine in a few weeks.

I examined the one that died. The marks don't appear to be any erosion as it felt smooth when I ran my finger over the area. Couldn't notice a difference in the feel of the marked area or regular looking areas. There didnt appear to be anything growing on lips or on marks.

I wonder if anything was even wrong with these guys or if it really was just marks from running into stuff like someone speculated on another forum.

Post mortem look at marks out of water.

PXL_20201217_203809835._exported_318_1608255821710.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store