Is this HITH?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Hi MFK,

I have a quick question as I have a slight concern about my fish and not sure whats the best thing to do at this point.

I first notice a tiny off white spot what must be a month ago or more. Took a picture June 26th and another one today. See below. Its the only 2 pictures I have that show it.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-my-male-green-terror-named-kai.677164/page-8

on my thread found above you can see as of may 7th the first sign of it. In the april photo there was nothing there.

I recently did a 5 day Epson salt treatment and followed by a 3 day NLS hex shield treatment (end of june) because of some weird poops he was having which is not an issue anymore.

This spot is looking more like a small hole now and not just a surface blemish. I am wondering if this is [possible the start of hith!? if it is how did it survive the epson salt and NLS treaments just a bit ago?

So what do I do now? Nothing, wait and see if it continues to grow or more show up? Another epson salt 5 day treatment? or another NLS hex shield treatment?

I do have small twigs and branches in the tank, its also a possibility that he poked himself and thats what caused it but I can't be certain about anything.

I just feel a little sick to my stomach about all of this and hoping for some advice and thoughts.

I should add that he is eating very well and super active and shows great color ect ect.
My tank maintenance and food choices are imo of very high quality. also a stress free environment.

Thanks in advance,

Philip

Last edited:

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Here are the two photos I referenced (June and today) outside of my watch him grow thread where you can see others of home from April and May.
first photo is todays.
IMG_20170709_131514.jpg

IMG_20170628_122301.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The holes kind of look similar to the thread you posted. I don't notice anymore of a change.

Keep an eye on it and see if it spreads, gets deeper and erodes. Hope it's not the beginnings of it. Clean water and good quality food.

Different causes for hith even with using nls hex shield and Epsom salts.

Reactions: Charney

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
My understanding is that with those two treatments the parasite would be kill off, maybe I am not understanding how hith works exactly.

i feed northfin and nls among other treat foods from omega and live red worms (composting worms) on occasion. 2x 60-70% water changes a week and he is the only large fish in my 75g. Loads of pathos and other terrestrial plants growing on top of the tank which would also help with nitrates and such.

I can't understand what would cause it, assuming it is hith. How can I prevent something if I feel I am already doing all the right things?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I have used around 2ml methylene blue, with 1/16th teaspoon metronidazole powder dissolved inside, I swab it in the lesions daily and let it sit for a few minutes before return fish to the tank. Just methylene blue works well, metro makes it even stronger.

This in conjunction with epsom and internal metro has been able to cure some VERY stubborn HITH and Lateral line disease. But I'm talking craters here, far beyond what your little on has. It will probably heal up with what you've done, but I like to target the lesions directly.

If that can't solve it I do 1 hour baths with tetra parasite guard double strength in an aerated container with the MB swabs before the bath. Sometimes add double strength nitrofurazone powder.

I used to adopt and try to save sick and dying fish, it was something that interested and challenged me. I don't have the heart for it anymore, but this is what has worked for me.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
All great info there thank you.

As for the little hole Kai has. If it is hith and I don't treat anything further, but just take good care of him, will it continue to spread? If so how long before I would notice anything? Is it like days, weeks, or months?

How can I confirm what I am dealing with?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Since I am unsure with what exactly I am dealing with I am going to start incorporating daily or every other day water changes. And go to feeding 2 small feedings per day. after a week or twoi can review and see how he is progressing

Reactions: tlindsey

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
If anyone has some other suggestions I would be very open to hearing them. Kai has become my little buddy and I would be devastated if anything were to happen to him.

I don't want to start throwing meds at him though unless I know forsure what it is that's wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store