Is this soil safe for monitors?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey everyone, I'm still having difficulties finding substrate for my ackie. Need to find it quickly eco earth with sand sucks for me. Anyone used this soil? I haven't looking into it much, but heard to look for top soil, as well as sand and this happens to mix both already so maybe it might be worth a look?

https://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Pea...=UTF8&qid=1485408879&sr=8-1&keywords=top+soil

If it looks safe to you, I'm thinking of purchasing some to give it a shot

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
i wouldn't use it, but that's just me. I would uuse something more practical and easier to clean and safer for the digestive tract like newspaper or paper towels or both or Repti-carpet. If you really want to use bedding, rabbit food pellets are the only TRULY safe bedding for an animal to accidentally ingest. Not only do they not cause gastrointestinal impaction, but they also offer moderate health benefits as well.

As far as cleaning it when soiled or wet, a basic Kids' beach play set can be used, the little plastic shovels are ideal for scooping out small sections of a tank or enclosure.

I have kept several Monitors and Tegus and i always just used newspaper since it is safe and they can hide under it quite easily

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey everyone sorry this isfor ackies monitors wish i can get away with just repti carpet but they need soil, so far reading someone uses this dirt in there ponds and there fish are ok so i assume there isnt any bad chemicals just have to see about the manure part

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hey everyone sorry this isfor ackies monitors wish i can get away with just repti carpet but they need soil, so far reading someone uses this dirt in there ponds and there fish are ok so i assume there isnt any bad chemicals just have to see about the manure part
NO monitors "NEED" soil.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
NO monitors "NEED" soil.
Really interesting, everywhere I read on ackie monitors they "NEED" soil, trust me everywhere i read, everyone i asked all said soil is a must with this species. Than again if you have or had ackies and had no problems with out using soil i do want to hear more. As everyone I spoke to all said that its a must, so Im torn I love using repti carpet lol

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Really interesting, everywhere I read on ackie monitors they "NEED" soil, trust me everywhere i read, everyone i asked all said soil is a must with this species. Than again if you have or had ackies and had no problems with out using soil i do want to hear more. As everyone I spoke to all said that its a must, so Im torn I love using repti carpet lol
I see, but did they say "WHY" they "NEED" soil?

I have seen the same thing said about Dumeril's and Savannah Monitors and i had both, along w/ a 4-foot+ Nile Monitor for over 10 years - kept them all on Newspaper and they healthy and happy as could be

Use rabbit food pellets if you want something they can bury in that holds humidity - just don't keep it humid to the point the substrate gets mold

Jcb1125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2016
I know a few guys who bred Ackie's and they all used soil for what 8ts worth. I don't question that they can be kept on paper but I from what I've heard, they prefer to be able to dig.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I know a few guys who bred Ackie's and they all used soil for what 8ts worth. I don't question that they can be kept on paper but I from what I've heard, they prefer to be able to dig.
Thank you guys, appreciate everything will look into for now i ordered soil but wont be afraid now to switch to something like rabbit pellets if the soil doesnt work out

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Its cruel to keep ANY monitor species in a tank without a deep enough substrate for them to burrow. This is doubly true for ackies.

I use plain jane top soil mixed with a little sand/eco/mulch and it works wonders. You can find top soil at any of the big box stores or gardening centers in your area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store