ISO South American Stocking Help

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I'm planning a fish room for a new house. I hope to have the following tanks:

1) 240G (72” x 24” x 30”) South American: Green Terror harem w/ non-cichlid SA Tetras (SD) and Catfish
2) 210G (72" x 24" x 29") South American: 1 Severum or Chocolate Cichlid, 6 - 8 Geophagus Species, 6 - 8 Angelfish, a couple groups of mid & dwarf SA Cichlids, Tetras and Catfish
3) 75G (48" x 18" x 21") South American: 6 - 8 Bolivian Rams, 2 harems Apistos, Checkboard Cichlids, Tetras and Catfish
4) 75G (48" x 18" x 21") Central American: 8 Thoricthys aureum w/ wild swords or mollies and some plecos
5) 40G (36" x 18" x 16") South American: 6 rams (2 German ,4 Wild), Apisto harem, Checkerboard Cichlids, Tetras and Catfish

I have alot of the smaller stock (Bolivian rams and smaller) in the 12 tanks (20G to 45G) I currently have. Anyways, I'd like some advice on my stocking my 210G... Would the following work and if not, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

• (1) Severum (Heros sp. 'rotkeil') or (Heros severus) or (Heros liberifer) or Chocolate Cichlid (depending on preferred parameters of the remaining stock)
• (6) Manacapuru Angelfish
• (6) Biotodoma cupido
• (6) Mesonauta festivus
• (8) Geophagus (mirabilis “Aripuana” or sveni or megasema or steindachneri)
• (2) (M/F) Apistogramma nijesseni Rio Ucayali F1
• (3) (♂♀♀) Apistogramma elizabethae A 208 TR
• (8 - 10) Adolfo’s Cory “Corydoras adolfoi” WC “Brazil” (3 TR)
• (20) Tetra (Hyphessobrycon species or Protocheirodon pi )
• (6) Pimelodus pictus or (3-4) BN plecos

I also have 10 Copella Arnoldi I can add or replace something above... I've already rehomed some of my prized Apistos but I'm thinking I may need to rehome some more fish as the stock looks like prolly too many different cichlids..

Would it work better w/o the Angels.. If yes, I could go with maybe 4 Angels in the 75G SA w/ the Bolivians... I think...

Any opinions on which Geo would work best?

Can 1 Severum or Chocolate work with this group? If yes which one? If Severum, which one?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated...

I plan to move the end of January and will have all of the tanks except the 240G set up w/ media from my current aquariums.

Thanks!

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I don’t have any advice, but my opinion is this is awesome. Keep us updated!

edit: I assume you are getting Or have a water change system for the fish room.

Reactions: dr exum

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
Thats an impressive fish room. Just my opinion on chocolate cichlids, they have a reputation of being super mellow but mine absolutely runs my 75g. He also ate several tetras and some baby geophagus when they were around 1". So, keep that in mind when trying to mix one with smaller tetras. I resorted to buenos aires tetras just because theyre a bit too big and fast for him to catch, but he was pigging out on smaller fish for a long time. I'd imagine some adult diamond or bleeding heart tetras would also be a good match.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I don’t have any advice, but my opinion is this is awesome. Keep us updated!

edit: I assume you are getting Or have a water change system for the fish room.
Thanks, I've been planning it since June and been doing a lot of research here and other places. I'm probably on the 20th revision of my original plan.. ?

After years of lugging buckets among my 12 SA Blackwater tanks on three floors, I definitely plan to invest in a WC system ultimately. Hopefully I'll have it set up by the spring or summer.. My first investment after the tanks is to install plumbing and a utility sink in the garage

So far I've purchased the 240G (Custom Designs) and 2 75Gs (Aqueon)... Thinking of setting up a rack for the for the 2 75's so I can have space for a 3rd one now instead of the 40... And I'm currently trying to find a 210G (Aqueon) and stand since I couldn't afford 2 Custom Design 240Gs. Hoping I can sell my 40Breeders and 20 Longs... ?

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Thats an impressive fish room. Just my opinion on chocolate cichlids, they have a reputation of being super mellow but mine absolutely runs my 75g. He also ate several tetras and some baby geophagus when they were around 1". So, keep that in mind when trying to mix one with smaller tetras. I resorted to buenos aires tetras just because theyre a bit too big and fast for him to catch, but he was pigging out on smaller fish for a long time. I'd imagine some adult diamond or bleeding heart tetras would also be a good match.
Thanks for the tip.. I'm probably leaning to a Heros but good to know about the Chocolate.. I've been trying to rehome all of my small tetras, but I may need to rehome most except my Copella Arnoldi and Crenuchus spilurus and start over w/ bigger tetras...

After doing some research today, I may need to put my Corydoras adolfoi in a different tank since they prefer slightly cooler temps.. Same goes for the Pictus if i get them.. The plans continue to evolve...

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
So I'm moving next week and after countless hours poring thru threads in here I'm getting ready for my fish room build. I decided to go with a 240, 180, (4) 75's for the fish room and would appreciate any advice or opinions on my potential 180 stocking. I'm currently considering variations of the following set up w/ a colony of Rotkeils as the main attraction:
  • 180G (72” x 24” x 24”) Option A (SA)
    • (6) Rotkeil Severum (Heros sp. 'rotkeil') (24 – 28°C) (6-7PH) (1-2M)
    • (6) Geophagus
      • sveni (24 – 28 °C) (6.5-7.5PH) or
      • tapajos “Red Head” (26 – 30 °C) (4.5-7.5PH) or
      • tapajos ll “megasema” (22 – 30°C) (5.5-7.5PH)
    • (4) Guianacara owroewefi (25-28°C) (6.5 – 7PH) (quartet)
    • Dither:
      • (8) Red Tail Hemiodus “Hemiodus gracilis” (23 – 27°C) (5.8-7.2PH) WS or
      • (10) Colombian Tetras “Hyphessobrycon columbianus” (20 – 28 °C) (5.5-7.5PH) WS
I definitely plan on getting the Rotkeils but unsure of the remaining stock. I was originally thinking Geo tapajos but think I like the sveni more.. But I think the Sveni get too big for my projected stocking w/ the Guianacara also in the lower 3rd of the tank. And i also think I'd want something a little more active in the midlevel than the typical Geo. So now I'm thinking of maybe replacing the Geo tapajos with either a trio or quartet of Blue Acara or brasiliensis or iporangensis (if I can source)... Could either work w/ Rotkeils and Guianacara?

Also I'd appreciate any opinions on the potential dithers or any other suggestions. I think I've finalized my planned stocking for the remaining 5 tanks but I'm struggling w/ this 180 and could use some suggections opinions or advice.. Thanks!
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
duanes duanes
ryansmith83 ryansmith83
Rocksor Rocksor
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
tlindsey tlindsey

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So I'm moving next week and after countless hours poring thru threads in here I'm getting ready for my fish room build. I decided to go with a 240, 180, (4) 75's for the fish room and would appreciate any advice or opinions on my potential 180 stocking. I'm currently considering variations of the following set up w/ a colony of Rotkeils as the main attraction:
  • 180G (72” x 24” x 24”) Option A (SA)
    • (6) Rotkeil Severum (Heros sp. 'rotkeil') (24 – 28°C) (6-7PH) (1-2M)
    • (6) Geophagus
      • sveni (24 – 28 °C) (6.5-7.5PH) or
      • tapajos “Red Head” (26 – 30 °C) (4.5-7.5PH) or
      • tapajos ll “megasema” (22 – 30°C) (5.5-7.5PH)
    • (4) Guianacara owroewefi (25-28°C) (6.5 – 7PH) (quartet)
    • Dither:
      • (8) Red Tail Hemiodus “Hemiodus gracilis” (23 – 27°C) (5.8-7.2PH) WS or
      • (10) Colombian Tetras “Hyphessobrycon columbianus” (20 – 28 °C) (5.5-7.5PH) WS
I definitely plan on getting the Rotkeils but unsure of the remaining stock. I was originally thinking Geo tapajos but think I like the sveni more.. But I think the Sveni get too big for my projected stocking w/ the Guianacara also in the lower 3rd of the tank. And i also think I'd want something a little more active in the midlevel than the typical Geo. So now I'm thinking of maybe replacing the Geo tapajos with either a trio or quartet of Blue Acara or brasiliensis or iporangensis (if I can source)... Could either work w/ Rotkeils and Guianacara?

Also I'd appreciate any opinions on the potential dithers or any other suggestions. I think I've finalized my planned stocking for the remaining 5 tanks but I'm struggling w/ this 180 and could use some suggections opinions or advice.. Thanks!
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7
duanes duanes
ryansmith83 ryansmith83
Rocksor Rocksor
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami
tlindsey tlindsey
Appreciate the tag I personally would exclude the Sveni also but since your definitely doing the Rotkeils ryansmith83 ryansmith83 is very experienced with them. I do like the rest of the stocklist.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Appreciate the tag I personally would exclude the Sveni also but since your definitely doing the Rotkeils ryansmith83 ryansmith83 is very experienced with them. I do like the rest of the stocklist.
Wouldn't add the Brasiliensis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store