ISO South American Stocking Help

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Recommend that you set aside a couple of 4' tanks for quarantine, separating fish that get injured or picked on, etc. Large cichlid communities don't always work out as planned, especially when pairs breed. Even in large tanks, you can have a pair take over and you'll either need dividers or a place to move them...

Matt

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Recommend that you set aside a couple of 4' tanks for quarantine, separating fish that get injured or picked on, etc. Large cichlid communities don't always work out as planned, especially when pairs breed. Even in large tanks, you can have a pair take over and you'll either need dividers or a place to move them...

Matt
Thanks Matt! I had planned to set up a 40 Breeder QT / Hospital Tank, but I guess you'd suggest a 75 instead.... Just not sure where it would go, since I'd like to have all my tanks in the fish room and don't have any space remaining unless I remove the sofa.. :grinno::grinyes:

Another possibility is keeping a spare 75 in the garage.. Guess I gotta do some research on insulating a tank in the garage... :1zhelp:

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
40B should be fine. Just somewhere for QT and for fish that get beat up or need separating.

Fish like Andinoacara and Amatitlania really aren't harem fish. Once a pair forms, they'll spawn and beat the crap out of the other fish. I keep a Botia in my 125g cichlid community to eat the fry form the pair of A. nanoluteus, which spawn every couple of weeks.

Thanks Matt! I had planned to set up a 40 Breeder QT / Hospital Tank, but I guess you'd suggest a 75 instead.... Just not sure where it would go, since I'd like to have all my tanks in the fish room and don't have any space remaining unless I remove the sofa.. :grinno::grinyes:

Another possibility is keeping a spare 75 in the garage.. Guess I gotta do some research on insulating a tank in the garage... :1zhelp:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store