Issue with blue acara

Millns84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2019
Evening all

Just looking for some advice on what might be wrong with my female blue acara.

I've had the fish around five months and she's grown and acted fine until a few weeks ago when I noticed that she's hanging around the bottom of the tank a lot and isn't using her tail to swim very much.

Water parameters are all fine, she's eating fine and is active enough... Just seems to have adopted this strange method of swimming almost like somethings up with her tail.

Any ideas?

Millns84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2019
Lights are off now but I'll try to get some pics in the morning.

No visible damage or other symptoms. She can move the tail but doesn't appear to use it much to actually swim.

Tank mates are a pair of rainbow cichlids, male electric blue acara and a juvenile electric blue jack dempsey... Also some assorted rainbow fish, mollies, swordtails and two BN plecos.

I did think perhaps an injury but its a fairly chilled out tank and I've not seen any aggression... Infact the only real issue I have is my rainbows having domestics constantly.

LT Connell

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2018
Florida
I have 5 electric blue acaras. they all take their turn just hanging out at the bottom of the tank, chillin. Our female often goes in the cave and almost lays down on the gravel and then awhile later she's fine and swimming around. Could just be looking for solitude away from the main activity of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store