Issues with rays chewing on each other...

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
I have had males endlessly go after a female while attempting to breed but I have several rays that chew on other rays regardless of sex and how they are Fed.

Any suggestions or similar experience?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
It happens. Normally a result of pecking order same as any other fish species. It's just that rays can cause more visual damage.
No easy answer really other than to move them around until you have a group that are either paired up or happy together, and you can only do that if you have more than one tank.

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
Still having issues with this. I separate for a time out and healing and then try releasing back in to the tank but I’m right back to where I started. The biggest culprit is a hybrid female who is just a nasty ray any other suggestions?

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
I had a bully female pearl before but only minor damage was caused and was no need to seperate.i have 2 big males that one will try n kill the other so now seperated. Tried several times to reintroduce but no good. One now sold. That was in a 24,000 litre system too. If you have rays that dont get along and its more than just a few bites here n there then i cant see it working longterm n will need seperating.

Reactions: Orthopod and deeda

Orthopod

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Seattle
I had a bully female pearl before but only minor damage was caused and was no need to seperate.i have 2 big males that one will try n kill the other so now seperated. Tried several times to reintroduce but no good. One now sold. That was in a 24,000 litre system too. If you have rays that dont get along and its more than just a few bites here n there then i cant see it working longterm n will need seperating.
I’m worried that I’m headed this way. Thanks for the reply.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I used to have a pearl male that targeted one female. Not biting on rhe disc edge but up on the back an made some nasty wounds so he got moved to an ibc tote until i sold him to a mate that only wanted one ray.

Reactions: Orthopod
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store